Translate

9/11/12

MEAL IN A BASKET, Pasta Soup Mix and Aunt Betty's 1-2-3 Cake in a Mug Mix for a Gift Box

A lot of you may recall my Godson Jacob was in a terrible accident about 200 days ago and remains in a coma although he is much improved and slowly is progressing.  We watch and pray as we see him "emerge" a tiny bit at a time.  He is now home and my sister works days and my brother-in-law works nights and they now provide 24 hour a day care for him with medications and every 4 hours, 24-7.   Friends and family are helping with meals and because I am 4 hours away I thought this might be a nice fill in to pack up and send to them.



I do not know where I got this.  I have it hand written with my recipes and think it is a great soup starter and lends itself to adding any additional meat or vegetables you might like to add.

I am including in my "CARE PACKAGE" a batch of Aunt Betty's !-2-3 Cake mix in a Mug.  This should work nicely.




Ingredients for Pasta Soup Mix:

2 T. dried basil
1 t. Herbs De Provence
1/2 t. celery salt
1/2 t. garlic powder
1/4 t. pepper
1/4 C. dried onion bits
1/3 C. beef bouillon granules
3 1/2 C. tri-color pasta
1 quart glass jar

Fill the bottom of the jar with the seasonings as listed then add the pasta on top to fill the jar.  Attach or enclose these directions to complete the recipe:  (I also included a can of crushed tomatoes in my basket.)

Bring 8 C. of water and 2 C. crushed or diced tomatoes to a boil in a large kettle.   Add the soup mix from the jar and simmer uncovered stirring occasionally for about 15 minutes until the pasta is tender.
For a heartier meal add any cooked poultry or meat on hand to the soup.   (Or brown and drain ground beef or sausage.)  You may also add additional cooked vegetables on hand as desired.  Taste and season with salt and pepper to taste.



A jar of home canned tomatoes, purchased or fresh tomatoes from your garden would make a lovely presentation.  I added a batch of Aunt Betty's 1-2-3 Cake in a Mug mix for any sweet tooth!  A bit of scrap fabric to decorate the jar, a paper market basket and red tissue paper helped fill the basket.  I stopped at the market on the way and added a few pieces of fresh fruit to finish off my package.  (I tried fitting in 2 big mugs which would have been fun to serve the soup and/or the cake from but they were too large to fit in my basket, but it might work for you.)

To make Aunt Betty's 1-2-3 Cake mix purchase any Angel Food Cake Mix (I like Duncan Hinds mixes the best,) and another cake mix of any flavor you like and mix them together in a large plastic bag to combine.  Place 3 tablespoons of the combined mix in a large mug and add 2 tablespoons of water.  Stir until just combined, do not over mix.  Microwave one minute on high then serve warm.  Many have noted they add choc chips, frosting, whipped toppings and more and love this relatively low calorie treat.

 I first gave this recipe in November 2011.  There are many many comments and additional variations given by readers.   If you would like to view them type "Aunt Betty's 1-2-3 Cake" in the finder box in the lower right margin of the blogs first page.


No comments: