Translate

3/24/14

Cobbler to Celebrate Spring Cleaning Project, Phase 1 is Done! Glory Be!


Easy stir together Blueberries and Peach Cobbler to celebrate that Thursday I finished!  Right on schedule and just in time to have my knees worked on first thing Friday morning!  I had planned to have every closet, drawer, cabinet, nook, and the crannies gone through and cleaned.  Every bed moved and cleaned under and behind and I got it all done.  Bags and bags went to the Good Will truck parked at the shopping center.  I will admit to having watched for the response of the trash truck fellas from a hidden window as they came upon my pile of discards!  Glad to say they didn't seem to mind but I know my husband has given them cold beverages on especially hot days and tried to be good to them, so they didn't seem to mind the unusually large heaps of late.

The shots in my knees are not a lot of fun but no worse than a trip to the dentist I'd say.  The next couple of days are a bit uncomfortable because it takes the body a while to absorb all of the medication they pump into the joint.  The pressure is a bit uncomfortable but after that look out!  I feel almost young again.  I fly up and down the stairs with great ease!  I am most grateful.

Next week I plan to get the tax stuff together for my hubby's business and sent off to the CPA we use.

Then the next week I will start on the down stairs!  So, look out here I come! By the time Easter rolls around I plan to be done.  The most difficult part was starting because the project seems always to be so daunting.  I started small and before I knew it I was on a roll and every day I looked back with a feeling of having gotten something done.

So to celebrate I made this special cobbler for Sunday dinner.  It went well with the baked ham, peas and carrots, potatoes and homemade bread.  We had a very nice day.  Our sons Mike and Joel helped with some  computer issues and Emily brought me a sculpture she made at collage!  I think it was her first big completed project.  Elsa,  their new puppy visited too and frolicked with Molly until they both tired and took naps!

Ingredients for Blueberries and Peaches Cobbler:

3 pints sliced peaches (I used 6 cups frozen)
1 pint  blueberries (2 cups)
1 C. sugar
1/2 C. brown sugar
1/2 C. flour
1/2 t. cinnamon
pinch of salt


Stir the ingredients listed above well and blend.


Empty into a buttered 9" x13" baking dish.  Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.

3 C. flour
1/3 C. sugar
1 1/2 t. baking powder
pinch of salt
5 T. diced cold butter


Assemble the above ingredients in a bowl and cut in the cold butter with a pastry blender until it is as coarse meal.

1 1/2 C. milk
2 large eggs

2-3 T. sugar



Add the eggs to the milk and beat with a fork to break up the eggs well.  Form a well in the center of the flour mixture and pour in the milk and eggs.  Stir with a fork until a sticky biscuit like dough forms.


Pinch off pieces and drop across the top of the fruit until it looks sort of "cobbled" together and the fruit is covered.  I use walnut sized pieces.  This is a bit sticky but it turns out nicely!  Lastly sprinkle with sugar to form a sparkle on the top and bake about 30 minutes until browned.


Serve with sweetened whipped cream or ice cream.  Yield 8-10 servings.

This is sort of like a shortcake topping and similar to several recipes I have.   I've "cobbled" them together from what was on hand!



1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi Diane, that looks so good, just right for the cooler nights we are now having. Darren has come through surgery but the wound is taking a long time to heal this time. The Oncologist is waiting for this to heal before he starts chemo, which will be two drugs this time taken every day for two weeks with a week off and then repeated. In other words a three week turn around, I have my fingers crossed it will not return as quickly next time. His surgeon has suggested Immunology but this is still in early stages and they want to try the combined chemotherapy first. I'm glad your knees are better, this is what my sister was having some time before she opted for knee surgery. Hope you are having sunshine now. Best wishes Wendy