Translate

8/19/14

Quilting Inspiration and More Helpful Hints

This is a square quilted by Grandma Powell.
This morning I spent time becoming quite inspired!  I was fortunate to be able to see first hand the beautiful quilts and super organized quilting and sewing room of my best friend's Mother!  I was so inspired by her color combinations.  They were all so sunny and happy yet unlike many I have seen!  She also used blocks of quilting fabric remnants sewn together for the backings to make almost what looks to be reversible quilts!  Awesome ideas.  She showed me how she makes her quilts in three sections and then how she joins them together.  It was a lovely and fun morning that I so appreciated!
Thank you Diane and Mrs. B.!

I have also invited a neighborhood friend who quilts using a quilting frame next week to see if we can get one of my frames put together.  Perhaps she will share some of her ways and I will be even more inspired! Excited to have you Cindy F.!

I also have come across some really, in my opinion helpful Household Hints.  I am only sharing the ones I really like and will use.  If you would like to read more I have not included they are found at     quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/some-helpful-household-hints-t251852.html

Here are my favorite NEW HELPFUL HINTS:

Keep brown sugar soft by storing with a couple of marshmallows. (I like this idea way better than stale bread!)

Create a thrifty watering can by punching holes in the top of a used plastic milk jug. (Thrifty idea.)

Cover paint trays with aluminium foil for faster clean up.(I have done this and it is well worth the effort.)

Use a large muffin pan to bake stuffed peppers in the oven--it will keep them upright. (I will try this very soon!)

To keep potatoes from budding place an apple in the bag. (I am doing this today.)

Add a half teaspoon of baking soda to the water when boiling eggs to make the shells incredibly easy to peel off.  (Love this one.)

Use cooking spray in votive candle holders to pevent the wax from sticking to the sides.

WD40 can be used to remove crayon marks from any surface. (I must remember to tell son Chris about this one.)

When hanging a picture frame, put a dab of toothpaste on the frame where you want the nails to be.  Then press against the wall to leave marks which can late be wiped after being guides for the nails! (GREAT IDEA.)

Sprinkle salt in the spaces between patio slabs and at the bottom of walls to get rid of weeds.  Be careful NOT to get the salt near what you want to keep as it will kill your flowers too. (Love this one.)

1 comment:

Jeannette said...

I really like the girl and geese...and I have heard of finishing and then piecing together before...I should learn about that too.