Translate

6/29/12

Chicken with Pesto cooked in the slow cooker 'cause it's just too dang HOT!!

Whew.......is it ever hot!!!  It is almost beyond belief that it can be this hot in Indiana in June?  The grass is burned up and brown along every roadside.  It it normal for it to get like this near the end of the summer but in June?

So, in my quest not to turn on the oven if I can keep from it I have stumbled upon the suggestion by ldsliving.com  to use instead my trusty, low energy, low and slow crock pot for cooking today.

I love to use it I just don't have the habit.  But I am dusting it out today for supper tonight.  I also have defrosted a jar of the pesto I had frozen last week as the fresh basil is suffering enough in the gardens heat without me cutting any more for the tome being.  See  * "Fresh Pesto from the Garden Today" on 6/12/12 for the pesto recipe.

Ingredients for Chicken with Pesto:

6 chicken thighs, boneless and skinned, trimmed of fat
1/2 C. pesto *
1/4 t. freshly ground black pepper
1/2 t. garlic powder
1 T. instant tapioca

Hot cooked pasta of your choice cooked according to package directions.  (At serving time.)

Cut the thighs into serving size pieces.  Arrange the chicken in the bottom of the slow cooker.  Using a small bowl combine the pesto, pepper, garlic powder, and tapioca; pour over the chicken.

Place the lid on the cooker and cook on low 1-5 hours.  Serve the chicken and the sauce over the pasta.  Yield 4-6 servings.

No comments: