DO NOT do this unless you have excellent ventillation. I turn on the overhead vent and open the kitchen window. MAKE SURE ALL OF THE BURNERS ARE TURNED ALL OF THE WAY OFF.
DO NOT do this when or where there are children or pets as the fumes could be harmful and the liquid could cause chemical burns and is poisonous. DO NOT do this if you or anyone in your household has breathing, allergy, or other health issues that might be harmful. DO NOT leave the soaking solution unattended where someone could get into it.
Wear good rubber gloves, NOT the thin ones doctors use. You will need 1 or 2 SOS pads or equivelent steel wool pads. A small bowl of hot soapy water, paper towels, 2 large heavy trash bags with twist ties, household ammonia, a dish cleaning brush, and a large tray of some kind to put under everything. (I use an old 1/2 sheet baking pan.)
This project starts the night before but is so worth the outcome and the ease.
Take the first trash bag and open it then open the second placing it inside the first. Basically making a large double bag for containment. Place both the bags on the tray in a manner that opens toward you and makes the bottom of the bags eany for you to place the dirty components inside. Place this someplace out of the way and where others will leave it alone. Put a DO NOT TOUCH sign on and a barricade if necessary!! NO JOKE.
Put all of the pieces need cleaned (as discussed above) inside the bag. I usually put the flatter pieces in first than stack the rest in a secure manner. Pour about a 1/2 cup of household ammonia in over everything and secure the first bag tightly with a twist tie, then secure the second the same way.
Leave undisturbed overnight. IT DOES NOT WORK AS WELL UNLESS THIS STEP IS FOLLOWED. The next morning put on your gloves and take the hot soapy water and brush to the stove and wet the sticky or browned areas. Scrub a bit but be sure to moisten it all and let it sit to soften up any grimy spots.
NOTE: I have a porcelain sink. If you do not then use a large plastic dish pan set down inside your sink as I would not want you to damage the sink.