Translate

11/11/10

Fried Green Tomatoes

Salted and Draining.
Fried Green Tomatoes is one of my most if not my most favorite movie!!!  I love the part in the parking lot when the two sassy teenie boppers get the sports car they just cut in front of our 'heroine" with smashed to blooming smithereens when our "heroine" blows a gasket and rams the daylights out of it with her big old "tank" as she tells them she is "older, richer, and has more insurance"......

Well anyway.........I am trying to catch up and get more thing done now that I am finally over whatever the heck I had for a good month!!  I really feel good now and am getting some outdoor stuff done too.  I finally did complete the big drag all my plants inside project yesterday.  There were two ferns left that needed tending and one of the was a huge monster,  the other was root bound and had to be chopped out of the pot.

So enter those green tomatoes.  I thought they would go well with the dinner I was planning of a small pork loin roast,  sweet potato and pecan casserole and fried green tomatoes.  I found my Paula Dean cookbook looked for her green tomato recipe.  Looked good.  It was good!!

Paula Dean's Fried Green Tomato
1 C. self rising flour  ( I used 1 C. all purpose flour plus 1/8 t. soda and 1/8 t. baking powder)
3-4 green tomatoes sliced thin
salt
2 t. black pepper
vegetable oil for frying

Earlier in the day wash and slice the tomatoes.  I used a mandolin  and sliced them into a large colander fanning them out as I went.  Salt each layer well and let the just sit in the sink and the salt will draw some of the liquid out of them.  I let the sit a couple of hours and they were fine.

Place the flour in a pie plate and mix in the pepper.  Set this aside.  About 15 minutes before serving heat the oil, dredge the tomatoes in the flour and pepper and fry until golden on each side.  Drain on paper and serve warm.

No comments: