Translate

2/2/12

German Chocolate Cake Plus Cupcakes with Sprinkles

We have a family birthday this weekend and today I thought I would get busy and make the cake.  German Chocolate is the requested flavor and I have a bar of German Chocolate on hand so we are good to go.  This makes a huge cake yielding 16 servings.  That is really more than I need and I am sure the grandchildren are not going to eat coconut and pecan frosting!!  My solution will is to dip enough batter out for 4- 5 cupcakes and still bake in three nine inch pans.  I will cut the baking time back 5 minutes or so for the cake.  I have a plan!!  I just adapt the recipe from the inside of the Baker's German Chocolate package.  I have made this many time and it is always good.

Ingredients:

1 pkg. German Sweet Chocolate (4 oz.)
1/2 c. water
2 C. flour
1 t. baking soda
1/4 t. salt
1 C. butter at room temperature
2 C. sugar
4 eggs separated (at room temperature)
1 t. vanilla
1 C. buttermilk (at room temperature)
Coconut Pecan filling
Chocolate frosting

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. and prepare pans.  I cut 3 circles of parchment paper and place each in the bottom of 3,  9" cake pan then butter and flour well.  Set these aside for now.

Microwave broken chocolate bar in water using a large microwave safe bowl.  Microwave on high for 30 second intervals, for 1 1/2 -2 minutes stirring between intervals.  Stir until the chocolate is completely melted.  Set aside.

Mix flour, soda, and salt then set aside.  Beat the butter and sugar with an electric mixer until light and fluffy in a large bowl on medium speed.  Add the egg yolks one at a time beating after each addition.  Blend in the chocolate and vanilla.  Add the flour mixture alternately with the buttermilk, beating until well blended after each addition.

Using another clean bowl and beaters, whip the egg whites at high speed until they form stiff peaks.  Fold the beaten whites gently into the batter.  Pour evenly into the prepared pans.

Note:  I spooned out batter to fill 4 cupcakes and set aside,  Then I filled the 3 cake pan and baked for 25 minutes until a tooth pick inserted in the center of each cake came out clean.  Then I baked the cupcakes for about 13-14 minutes.

Cool the cakes for 15 minutes then remove from the pans and finish cooling on racks.  Cool the layers completely.

Coconut Pecan Frosting:

4 egg yolks
1 can 12 oz. evaporated milk
1 1/2 t. vanilla
1 1/2 C. sugar
3/4 C. butter
2 C. coarsely chopped pecans
2 C. sweetened flake coconut

Beat together the egg yolks, milk, and vanilla in a large saucepan using a slotted spoon.  Add the sugar and butter and cook over medium high heat stirring constantly for 12 minutes until thickened and golden.  Remove from the heat and add coconut and nuts.

Fill  between the layers and the top of the cake.  Frosting the sides of this cake is optional.

Yield 16 servings cake and 4 cupcakes with sprinkles today!!


7 comments:

Eliotseats said...

That cake looks will make a fantastic b-day dessert!

kale said...

All these ingredients sound fantastic to me! Especially coconut and pecan! Mmm....

The Three Little Piglets said...

I can certainly see why that's a very requested cake!

Amalia said...

What a gorgeous cake! I can just imagine how amazing and delicious it tastes! I love the texture of the frosted sides, it looks great! Beautiful job :)

Unknown said...

Well golly!! What a nice surprise to come home to!! Our son lives north of Indianapolis and I took the cake and dinner to him. Your comments are certainly wonderful to come home too!!! Thank you so much. He loved the cake and Chow Mein he requested for dinner.

Marina said...

How wonderful! I admire people who can bake, everyone, as I don't have this baking bug in me...

Sudha said...

That's such a stunning chocolate cake,Diane!I feel like sinking in my teeth into it right away - gluttonous thoughts;)Gorgeous!