Translate

3/18/12

A Family Update......

Again I have pondered for days on if I should share this information but again concluded to do so.  We have always been a private people but you have so many of you, loyal friends become special to me and it is so I tell you this news.

Our beloved daughter-in-law Julie "1" as we call her. (We have 2 daughter-in-laws, both named Julie who we love and cherish,  #1 is called so because she married into the family first and #2 was the second.)   She lost her father quite unexpectedly Friday morning as he drove his mother-in-law to do some errands.  Julie's dad, Tom Whitledge was one of those people that everyone loved.  There was always a twinkle in his eye and a song in his heart and you were always greeted by a big smile that reached out and greeted you before a word could be spoken.  He sang Elvis, Johnny Cash, and Willy songs as well as any man could and was a natural musician.

Tom was only 71 years old and lived here in our little town most of his life after doing a stint in the armed forces as men of our age so often did....Tom died quietly and unexpectedly along a highway of an apparent heart attack but managed to pull the truck off the side of the road as not to do harm to anyone else ........ that is just the kind of a guy he was.

Tom and his beloved wife Judy only live a a couple of miles from us and we have known them for years now.  We sat with them, altogether as a family at school and sports functions the girls were in.  Tom picked up Katie and Emily every day from school and made them laugh no matter what kind of a day it had been for them.  He was a known practical joker in seriously high standing among the other competitors of that ilk.  Every morning he met a crew of cronies for breakfast at a local eatery and was so beloved they are feeding the whole entourage gratis after the funeral.  Not something you see every day!!

So our hearts have been broken yet again this week.  First the tragedy of our Godson Jacob's accident and now the death of our friend, Tom Whitledge.  Lest I forget, Tom told His granddaughter Emily this past week that if anything ever happened to him she was not to cry for him.  He told her he knew where he was going and it was a far better place.  He just never knew how big the hole in our hearts would be at his passing.   He was ready.....we were not.

I offer a prayer for those who morn Tom and for my sister Sheree for her beloved son Jacob and ask you too  to remember them in prayers.  Thank you.  Diane

5 comments:

Michelle in Indiana said...

I have followed this blog for awhile and never realized you are Mike's mom. Julie was a best friend of mine in school and I was a bridesmaid when they were married. We lost touch over the years but Julie will always be one of my besties!
Tom was a great man. He always made me laugh. I am shocked and saddened by his passing. My thoughts and prayers are with you all, not just with Tom's passing but also with Jacob.

Michelle Falk

Kitchen Simmer said...

My deepest condolences to you and your family. I'm sorry for your loss. ~ Ramona

Unknown said...

Thank you both so very much. I will see them in a few hours at Tom's visitation and pass along your kindness. Mike just called and is on his way here now. My sister Linda just phones and she is on her way to the hospital to sit with Sheree and Baxter I told her of all the prayers and best hopes that we have been getting word about. They are heartened by the outpouring of love and support as are we. Both Mike's brothers, Chris and Joel have called too and are supporting our family. I am humbled to be the Mother of such fine men.

Liz That Skinny Chick Can Bake said...

My heart goes out to you...I am so very sorry for your loss. xoxo

Unknown said...

Thank you so much Lizzy and God Bless. Michelle, I told Julie tonight of your note and she said to thank you. She is taking this so very hard. Please keep them all in your prayers. Thanks again. I am glad you found me!! Mike's Mom....I have always gotten the most happiness in my life being Chris, Mike, and Joe's Mom.