Translate

9/25/12

Mom's BBQ Sandwiches

This is a tangy BBQ, not overly sweet with the zest of the vinegar and the warmth of clove.
When we were growing up at home Mother made these BBQ sandwiches out of whatever leftover roast meat we had, roast pork or roast beef.  It is real comfort food to my sisters and brother and me.
We all love it.  I can tell you though there is too much ground clove in the recipe to suit my husband so I cut it back to 1/2 t. now when I make it for us.  I am giving the recipe though exactly as Mother gave it to me.  It is terrific served open face on buns or bread.

This is a wonderful use for leftover roast with the bonus of being perfect to throw into a slow cooker in the morning and enjoy the wonderful perfume of it as it simmers or the greeting of it's essence when you return home from a days work.

Ingredients for Mother's BBQ:

1 medium onion diced
1/4 C. celery diced
1 T. vinegar
1 t. sugar
1 C. ketchup
1 t. ground cloves
2 T. prepared mustard
2 C. water
dash of Worchershire Sauce
salt and pepper to taste
4-5 C. diced or shredded cook roast

Simmer all of the above ingredients together atop the stove or combine in a slow cooker and simmer until the flavors have melded and the meat is tender.  Serve hot on buns.  Yield 8-10 servings. 

This is one of those, "it just gets better the longer it simmers" recipes.  I like to serve with macaroni and cheese and slaw or green salad.  Big comfort food to our family.

Again if in doubt cut the cloves back to 1/4 or 1/2 t. and taste before adding the amount called for in this zesty potion.



No comments: