Translate

9/5/10

Cookie Crisp

This has proven to be a very busy Labor Day weekend with our children and grandchildren visiting.  I decided to do everything the easiest way I could as to spend more time with everyone visiting and not so much time working away in the kitchen.

I really didn't plan ahead much and just "went with it" more than usual.   Saturday I baked an especially quick and easy desert.  It is a combination of store bought pie filling with additional fresh or frozen fruit added plus a little jazz up with a bit of extra butter, sugar, and cinnamon.  Basically I used a can of apple pie filling and added a couple of peeled and sliced cooking apples plus an additional tablespoon of butter, three tablespoons of sugar(to taste), and a sprinkle of cinnamon.

The next step is to use a roll of refrigerated sugar cookie dough and slice it about a scant quarter inch thick.  Top the fruit with the cookie slices and sprinkle the cookies with demura or raw sugar.  I used individual stoneware baking dishes and doubled the recipe using 2 cans of pie filling, 4 apples and one roll of cookie dough and yielded twelve deserts.

I baked them 22 minutes at 350 degrees F.  It is quite nice to top with whipped cream or ice cream.

I first thought this up when my husband headed up the local cowboy shooters at our local gun club and I often prepared lunches for 75 hungry cowboy shooters!!  So if you have a crowd to feed you can use big disposable aluminum pans and mix up big batches.  I just bake them until the  fruit is bubbling around the edges and the cookies are brown,  You can use any fruit you like and I always added frozen fruit for the cowboy shoots and topped it with a ready made whipped topping from the freezer section of the grocery.  I just thought I would share some of my tips for cooking for a crowd.

No comments: