Translate

12/3/10

Banana Cake with Cinnamon and Chocolate Chips

Another blog I like to read is David Lebovitz and he posted this and another recipe I am going to try. He in addition said he often adds a shot of espresso to this batter which I didn't do. He is always interesting an I have liked the things I tried. This was my breakfast with 2 cups of hot black coffee this morning. I did not frost it. My intention was to try it as a plainer fare given the chocolate chips. I do like this. It is not as sweet as the banana breads I usually make but it is quite full of flavor. My adaptation is for a larger pan so this is actually about 1 1/2 times his version. I used a 10 1/2" x 3" square glass casserole dish, buttered and then covered the bottom with parchment paper and buttered it again.

You will need:
2 1/4 C. flour
1 1/2 t. baking powder
3/4 t. soda
3/4 t. salt
1 1/2 t. cinnamon
1 C. + 2 T. sugar
2 large or 3 medium eggs
3 T. melted butter
1 1/2 C. mashed banana
3/4 C. sour cream
3/4 t. vanilla
2/3 C. chocolate chips

Butter your baking dish and cover the bottom with parchment and butter it also. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. 

Sift the dry ingredients into a bowl and set aside. Using a large bowl mix butter, eggs, banana, sour cream, vanilla, and a shot of espresso if using. Add the dry ingredients and stir until JUST COMBINED. Do NOT over stir. Stir in the chocolate chips just until they are incorporated then scrape into the prepared pan. Bake about 40 minutes.

The center should spring back lightly when touched and be just done. Cool on rack.

No comments: