Translate

12/15/10

Six Grain and Flax Yeast Bread

Gosh when it is cold and gray and just plain yuck out of doors and there is no sunshine I am compelled to mix up some bread.  I have said it here before but I do love to bake bread.  It isn't that I haven't done other things too but it has basically been more of the same so I didn't post repeats. 

This bread uses a grain mix of organic rolled oats, barley flakes, wheat flakes, rye flakes, rice flakes, and kamut flakes that I ordered from King Arthur as a breakfast cereal.  I use a lot of their flour and order from them a couple of times a year.  I adapted a bread recipe they sent along in my order with the addition of Flax seed that I ground and a few other alterations.  It goes like this:

2 C. King Arthur Unbleached All Purpose Flour
1 C. King Arthur White Whole Wheat Flour
1 T. wheat gluten
1 C. Six Grain Flakes
2 T. Flax Seeds, then grind
1 1/2 t. salt
2 T. sugar
2 1/2 t. instant yeast
1/2 C. nonfat dry milk granules
1 1/4 C. warm water

Combine all the ingredients in the bowl of a stand mixer using the dough hook.  Mix and Knead until the dough is smooth and supple.  Fill a heavy crock or glass bowl with hot tap water.  Empty it and dry it well, butter it generously and place the dough into the center and turning it to coat with butter.  Cover with plastic wrap and set aside to rise for about an hour.

Turn the dough out onto a lightly oiled surface and shape it into a 9" log.  Place it in a buttered 9" x 5"
loaf pan and cover again with plastic wrap to rise.  It should crown about 1" above the edge of the pan in about an hour.

Towards the end of the rise time preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.  Bake the bread about 45 minutes until a instant read thermometer reads 190 degrees.  Remove the bread from the oven and then from the pan.  Allow to cool completely on a rack.  Yield :  1 loaf.

No comments: