Translate

1/19/11

New York Strip Steaks and Hash Browned Potato

It's cold, it's raining and snowing and it is dark out of doors so I don't have the heart to ask Brian to stand outside and grill these after he has worked all day in spite of the fact there is no comparison between what he does outside and what can be done inside. 
Having clarified that here is the best alternative I know about. The searing hot grill pan. I seasoned the steaks well with a steak mix of salt, pepper, garlic powder, and the slightest bit of sugar and cornstarch. Just a pinch of the latter two. They help in the crusting. Sear well and finish in a preheated 425 degree F oven for 4-7 minutes depending on the thickness and you wellness preferences. These are a good inch thick and we like medium so I let them go about 6-7 minutes and they were just right pink and juicy!! 

The potatoes are what we made at home when I was a girl and they are simply peeled and boiled in salt water until fork tender. Drain well and dump them into an oiled hot pan and brown them with a bit of added salt and pepper. There is seldom leftovers!!

1 comment:

Merut said...

I agree, steaks cooked outside are much better than steaks cooked inside, but when you want a steak you want a steak. So be it. I love how you fry the potatoes after you boil them. Interesting idea.