Translate

12/6/12

Christmas Cookies, Italian Biscuits (Cookies), as my Cookie Press Bites the Dust!

Such a list of plans I had for today!  And. honestly it all started off pretty well.  Last night after telling one son the pants size of another backwards I worried all night that I had ordered 32" W and 36"L instead of the other way around on the order I placed yesterday morning!  When I checked this morning I had done it correctly so I was reassured I had lost only part of my marbles!  

I proceeded to throw a load of fabric in the washer so I can sew this afternoon.  Then made a few necessary phone calls.  Actually it was moving right along.  I had washed and dried my cookie press last night to be ready this morning so I proceeded to mix up the dough.  It has been a couple of years since I have had this cookie press out so I opted to use the cookie recipe enclosed for and Italian Biscuit to be sure things would go smoothly.  I headed down and looked up the recipe conversions from grams and pounds to cups and was ready to roll.

Ingredients for Italian Biscuits (Cookies):

4 C. all purpose flour
1 C. + 2 T. sugar
1 C. melted and cooled butter
pinch of salt
4-6 T. milk
3 egg yolks
2 t. cocoa (optional)

Place the flour, sugar and salt into a bowl and whisk together.  Make a well in the center and beat the egg yolks adding the cooled melted butter and stir together with a fork.  Using your hands add the milk a few droplets at a time until the dough is formed and holds together.  Form into sausage like rolls about 1 1/2 -2 " wide to fit into the shaft of the cookie press.

Press the cookies through into desired shapes, sprinkle with sugars, and bake 12-15 minutes.  Cool and store in an airtight container.  Yield 6 dozen small cookies.

So away we went BUT ALAS after 2 pans of cookies the press LOCKED UP and would not budge!  A broken cookie press did not fit in my plan!  First I decided to forget it and put the dough away in the refrigerator.  Then I thought no I don't want to clean up the same mess twice.....So, (HELPFUL HINT) I poured decorative sugar in a paper plate and rolled each log until it was coated and just sliced them off and baked them.  All is well that ends well I guess!  They taste fine and while they are not as pretty as I had hoped they still have a bit of Christmas Spirit about them.


3 comments:

cambric cotton, pins and needles said...

Could you flatten the dough and use a cookie cutter?

Diane Cosby said...

I thought about that but I was so frustrated at that point this seemed easier and less trouble. I make a cutout cookie I really like and will do next week. Thanks for the suggestion though. My patience was shot for that day.

Kathy Shea Mormino said...

Hello, new follower here and I’d like to invite you to join me at my weekly Clever Chicks Blog Hop: http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/12/Clever-Chicks-Blog-Hop-12.html



I hope you can make it!

Cheers,

Kathy Shea Mormino

The Chicken Chick