Translate

1/15/14

Little Lemon Pies Brighten a Snowy Day and a Verse for Today

Little Lemon Meringue Pies.
As I watched the snow coming down this morning with the deep grey clouds and the little birds hanging onto the branches before their flight and approach to the feeders I thought it a good day to make up little lemon pies.  Something bright, yellow, and sunny!

There are four disks of pie pastry made up and frozen in the upstairs freezer and  small glass jars of egg whites I have previously frozen so I took some out to thaw.  Here is the link to click on for the pie crust and meringue recipes.    thehiddenpantry.blogspot.com/2014/01/cooking-chow-mein-and-chocolate-pie.html

Roll dock and bake the pie crusts using either a 9" pie plate or 3-4 small individual pie pans as directed in the link above.  If making the small pies I bakes 20-25 minutes.  Remove from the oven and set aside to cool a bit.  Prepare the meringue as indicated above and set aside.

Meanwhile I made up lemon filling for the pies.

Ingredients for Lemon Pie Filling:

1 1/2 C. sugar
1/3 C. + 1 T. cornstarch
3 large egg yolks slightly beaten
1 1/2 C. water
3 T. butter
2 t. fresh grated lemon jest
1/2 C. fresh squeezed lemon juice

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. 

Stir the sugar with the corn starch in a medium saucepan.    Blend the egg yolks and water and gradually add them to the sugar mixture stirring as you do.    Cook over medium heat, stirring until it thickens and comes to a boil. Boil and stir another minute.  Remove the filling from the heat and stir in the butter, lemon zest, and lemon juice.  Immediately pour into the baked pie shells.

Top with the meringue sealing the edges and bake about 7-9 minutes until the meringue is golden brown.  Cool and refrigerate until serving time.  Yield 3-4 small pies or 6 slices of a 9" pie.

Today I am sharing a Bible verse that I particularly like.  With all that goes on in the world today I have to remind myself about this more often than I would like to admit.  Luke 6:37 THE BOOK  Never criticize or condemn or it will come back on you.  Go easy on others; then they will do the same for you. 

I hope your days are bright and sunny as Lemon Pie.





No comments: