Translate

2/7/15

Dill & Onion Rye Bread Made on the Dough Cycle of My Bread Machine.

It has probably been three months now that I have had a yearning to make rye bread but have resisted because I have tried to avoid bread in general on my diet.  But Sunday is around the corner (My free day.) and I am thinking of amending my diet a bit to the Alton Brown diet just because I love variety and I think I can keep going with a bit of diversity.  I will talk more about this soon.  But for today I made the bread and it smells like heaven in this house!  This is a hearty, rustic loaf with crisp crust and yet a little chewy and, the onions add to the delightful texture with a slight almost pop and you enjoy the pungent flavors!

I used the bread machine set on the dough cycle and then baked it on a pizza stone in my oven as I have many times.  I always get a good result using this method.  I just am feeling a little lazy and this worked for me today!

Ingredients for Dill & Onion Rye Bread on the Dough Cycle of the Bread Machine:

2 room temperature eggs added to warm water (80 degrees) to equal 1 1/3 C. + 1 1/2 T. liquid*
2 T. olive oil
1/4 C. honey
3 T. dry milk powder
2 t. kosher salt
2 1/4 C. bread flour
1 C. whole wheat flour
1 C. rye flour
4 T. rye bread improver, optional (available through King Arthur Flour)*
3 T. caraway seeds
1/4 C. dried onion flake
1 T. dry dill weed
1 T. active instant yeast
* If you do not use the bread improver do not use the additional 1 1/2 T. water.


Place these ingredients in the order listed in the bucket of your bread machine.   BEFORE YOU ADD THE YEAST USE A CLEAN TABLESPOON AND RAKE IT END TO END LIGHTLY THROUGH THE DRY INGREDIENTS TO FORM A SHALLOW FURROW.  Then sprinkle the yeast evenly end to end in the furrow.

Close the bread machine and set on the dough cycle.  

Sprinkle a large pizza stone or baking pan with 3-4 T. cornmeal.   After the dough cycle is finished shape the dough into a somewhat flattened ball and place it on the prepared pan.  Cover with a clean tea towel and set in a warm place to raise until doubled in volume.  About 2-3 hours.  Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.  After if has risen slash the top with a serrated knife.  Bake 30-35 minutes until done.    Yield 2 pound loaf.




1 comment:

Angela Schofield said...

I am thankful for this blog to gave me much knowledge regarding my area of work. I also want to make some addition on this platform which must be in knowledge of people who really in need. Thanks.
carpet steam cleaning
carpet steam cleaning Surry hills