Translate

2/6/15

Catfish Supper, After the Holiday's, It's Time to Use Up the Freezer and Pantry Items.

Pan Fried Catfish with Seasoned Green Beans and Cole Slaw.
After the winter rush to the Christmas and New Year's Holidays there is a big sigh at my house!  The rush is over and the long cold winter days stretch out ahead.  I don't even want to get out in the cold and damp unless the sun is out!  If I see the sun life seems much less daunting to me.

During this time I rumble through cabinets and the freezers to see what I can fix to keep from having to go out!  Many times this serves a dual purpose inasmuch as I forget what I do have as it gets pushed to the back or under something else. It needs to be found, it it needs to be used! Plus it is quite often a treat!

Yesterday morning I was rumbling through frozen packages in the upright freezer and found a bag of beautiful catfish fillets my brother Gary had caught and given us.  This made a real treat of a dinner as Brian is a great lover of fish and sea food.

I pulled out 2 pints of green beans I canned from the summer and found a half a head of cabbage in the refrigerator for Cole slaw and it became a feast!

Ingredients for Fried Catfish:

1-2 pounds fish filet's
1 C. flour
1 C. corn meal
1 t. kosher salt
1/2 t. black pepper
2 t. Paprika
Oil for frying

Rinse and dry the fish.  Combine the dry ingredients in a shallow dish and dredge the fish.  Heat about 3/4" of oil in a frying pan to 350 degrees F.  Fry the fish until golden brown on both sides and drain on paper towels.  Yield 4-6 servings.  Serve with seasoned green beans and slaw.

Ingredients for Seasoned Green Beans:

1 quart canned green beans
6 slices bacon
1 onion, diced
1 C. fingerling carrots, optional
salt
pepper

Dice the bacon into a heavy bottomed pan and fry until crisp.  Add the onions and saute about 2 minutes.  Add the green beans with their juice and season to taste.  Bring to a boil then simmer 20-30 minutes.  Serve hot and taste again to correct the seasoning.  Yield 4-6 servings.

Ingredients for Cole Slaw:

1/2 head green cabbage shredded fine
1/2 onion diced fine
1-2 carrots shredded

Dressing:

3/4 C. Miracle Whip salad dressing
1/4 C. sugar
2 1/2 T. cider vinegar
pinch of salt
pinch of pepper

Prepare the vegetables and set aside.

Use a large mug to prepare the dressing.  Add the dressing ingredients and whisk until smooth with a fork or small whisk.  Pour over the vegetables and toss until all coated.  Serve chilled.  Yield 4-6 servings

1 comment:

Angela Schofield said...

I am thankful for this blog to gave me much knowledge regarding my area of work. I also want to make some addition on this platform which must be in knowledge of people who really in need. Thanks.
carpet steam cleaning
carpet steam cleaning Surry hills