Translate

4/30/15

Cranberry Orange Muffins with Apple and Pecans

My system requires fruit and it is my belief that if you are going to consume carbohydrates it is best dome in the morning!  My husband is not a muffin fan so since our children have been grown I have seldom made them.  It occurs to me we both get very bored repeating the same breakfast so for my part I am going to try muffins for a while.  We will see if he joins me.

This recipe made 9 Texas size muffins and can be more easily consumed than two dozen or more in a recipe.  My inspiration is the Lazarus cookbook fro their restaurant published in December of 1990.   I have adapted in in several ways to my taste and preferences.  They are delicious!  Where have these been all my life?  Breakfast was good today!

Ingredients for Cranberry Orange Muffins with Apple and Pecans:

1 extra large egg
1/2 C. sour cream
1/2 C. buttermilk
1/3 C. vegetable oil
3/4 C. sugar
1 C. rough chop pecans
1 peeled and grated fresh apple
1 whole fresh orange washed and cut into 1/8ths then chopped in the food processor
1 C. dried cranberries (or grind fresh)
2 1/4 C. all purpose flour
1 T. baking powder
2 t. Vietnamese cinnamon (or other cinnamon on hand)
1 pinch salt
1/2 t. orange flavoring
1/2 t. vanilla bean paste (or 1 t. vanilla)

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and place rack so tops of muffins are in alignment with the center of the oven.  Lightly butter 9 Texas size muffin cups or 12 large muffin cups.

Beat together the egg, sour cream, buttermilk, oil, and sugar.  Stir in the flavorings.  Fold in the fruits.

Combine in a separate bowl first the walnuts, then flour, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon stirring well to combine.  This will help keep the nuts from falling to the bottom.  Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients stirring just enough to combine.  Do not over mix.

Divide  the batter into the muffin cups evenly and bake for about 25 minutes,  A tooth pick inserted into the center of a large muffin should be clean when removed, 

Cool for 10 minutes then remove from the pans.  Serve with warm butter or make Orange Honey Butter for a special treat!

Ingredients for Orange Honey Butter:

1 C. soft butter
2 T, honey
2 T, grated fresh orange zest

Whip the butter and honey until light and fluffy.  Fold in the orange zest.  Serve on muffins toast, or biscuits. 



No comments: