Translate

5/19/10

Fruit Platter and Dips

Last night after dinner my husband told me I needed a covered dish for a pitch in for tonight!!  I am going to an event I have never been to and don't know a soul.......The main course is "Pulled Pork" and the only other thing I know of is 10 pounds of potato salad.  After a lot of fretting I decided you can't go wrong with a fruit platter. They are attractive,  healthy,  most people like something on it,  and if I make a chocolate dip and a vanilla dip and add a bowl of salted nuts I will probably have something for everyone.

I like to cover my platter with washed and dried leaf lettuce Then I just arrange a selection of whatever is in season and looks good.  Today I used fresh pineapple, purple seedless grapes, strawberries, orange slices, and blackberries.

CHOCOLATE SAUCE:

3 c semi sweet chocolate chips
1 1/4 c heavy cream
2 T corn syrup
1 t instant coffee powder
1 t vanilla

Combine these ingredients in a bowl over simmering water (double boiler) stirring occasionally until melted, smooth, and glossy.  You may add a few tablespoons more cream to reach desired thickness.  The mixture will thicken as it cools.

VANILLA SAUCE:

16 oz softened cream cheese
16 oz marshmallow fluff or cream
2 t vanilla

Beat together with an electric mixer until well blended and serve.  Sometimes I add lemon or lime juice.  I have added orange juice and I have added cinnamon.  Just whatever sounds good  with the fruit you are using will work.

No comments: