Translate

10/1/10

Butterscotch Chocolate Brownies

My  big discovery last week was to bake the brownies in my mini loaf pan as everyone here loves the corners and edges.  So I am all about more brownies!! This is a really versatile and useful pan to me as I also buy rectangular liners and make mini loaf cakes and breads with it too.

Soooooo....anyway I came across a  Butterscotch Brownie recipe on the King Arthur website of which I am a loyal reader for many years.  I think they would be in addition to a great cookie a base for a Brownie Sunday with maybe chocolate or fudge ripple ice cream and Carmel or chocolate sauce for desert Sunday as back up if I don't get around to the apple pies I plan on backing.  Always good to have a plan "B" just in case!!

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. and grease your pan.  Set aside.

2/3 C. chopped pecans
2 t. butter
1/8 t. salt
Place the butter in an oven proof dish and place it in the oven for 3-4 minutes until melted.  Add the pecan pieces and salt and stir well.  spread out over the bottom of the pan and return to the oven and roast for 8 minutes. Remove from the oven and cool while you prepare batter.

1/2 C. butter

1/2 C. chocolate chips
Using a microwave proof bowl , melt the butter and chips together and stir until completely smooth.  It took 1 minute in my microwave. Set aside. 

1 t. espresso powder
1/2 t. salt
1 3/4 C. brown sugar packed well
1/2 t. soda
1 t. vanilla
2 lg. eggs
Put the espresso powder, salt, brown sugar, soda, and vanilla in a mixing bowl.  Add the chocolate/butter mixture and stir together until combined.  Add the eggs mixing until smooth.

1 1/2 C. flour ( I use King Arthur)
2/3 C. butterscotch chips
Stir in the flour, pecans, and chips.  Work quickly as if you stir too long the chips will melt.

Spoon the thick batter into the prepare pans and use your wet fingers to spread to the edges of the pan.  Bake 22-25 minutes and test with a pick in the center for doneness.  It should come out clean.  The edges will be taller than the center.  loosen around the out side and push them down a bit.  This will help them not to appear as sunken in the center.  Yield 2 dozen bars.

Adapted from King Arthur Flour recipes at: www.kingarthurflour.com

2 comments:

Lisa said...

Butterscotch brownies sound so delectable. Your picture is making me hungry.

Unknown said...

Thanks!! They are yummy and I am sure my granddaughters will like them!!!King Arthur recipes are usually a good place to start for inspiration.