Translate

10/5/10

Juice to Heal me!! "Fall Tonic" and Pumpkin Pie

I have been curled up in my snugglie blanket and sweatpants in my leather chair for over a week trying to get past a sore throat, earache, cough....well more like a whoop, and runny nose.  Not real appetizing right????

Yesterday after a week I got a prescription and I am juicing today in hopes a recovery.  My favorite cure all is 3 or 4 carrots, a handful of parsley, a couple of stalks of celery, a half of a fresh beet and an apple or two. Today I threw in a big shiny bright plum....just because!! This is a cure all I use for anything that comes up be it illness, a new diet, or the blues!!  It has always made me fell better.  For today it is my "Fall Tonic"plus I have everything fresh and on hand.  Also it really tastes G-r-e-a-t!!

God Bless my husband and children who didn't get the usual Sunday diner this past week.  Only a rain check.  My husband went ahead and grilled the chickens I had thawed for exactly that reason, they were thawed.  Today I am boning them and putting their meat in the freezer for another use at another time.

Then there was the pumpkin  pie.  I had thawed the pastry made up in the freezer from the last batch I had made and frozen.  I had planned the pumpkin pie for Emily my oldest granddaughter.  She comes and visits sometimes on Sunday and I had planned for her to stir it up.  I did it instead and Brian loved it.  I have to say it is quite good for you and was easy for me to enjoy also.

My recipe follows:
1 unbaked 9" pie pastry in a deep dish
1 regular can of pumpkin
2 large eggs
1 C. sugar
1-1 1/4 C. cream
1 1/2 t. cinnamon
1/2 t. cloves
1 t. ginger
1 t. vanilla
1/4 t. salt

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.   Beat the pumpkin and eggs together well with a large whisk.  Combine all of the dry ingredients in a small bowl and stir them together.  Add the sugar and spices to the pumpkin egg mixture and beat together well.  Add the cream and continue whisking until well blended and add the vanilla and finish combining.  Pour into the prepared pastry and bake in the center of the oven for 15 minutes.  Reduce the heat to 350degrees F. and bake for 40-50 minutes longer until the filling is set.  Serve with ice cream or whipped topping.
Note:  Newer recipes ask for evaporated milk and you can use it as well.

2 comments:

Katherine Josh said...

Loquat is for cough and lung in Chinese medicine. Sometimes i would take the Ninjiom Pei Pa Koa which is an extract of loquat when got sore throat.

You can access info online @
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nin_Jiom_Pei_Pa_Koa
ninjiom.50webs.com

Unknown said...

Thanks so much....I will try it and see.