Translate

10/29/10

Maple Pecan Pie

Pecan pie might be in my top two or three favorite pies.  I have had in mind to put a new spin on mine with a bit of maple and today was a good day to test it out as I don't want to wait until Thanksgiving or Christmas to experiment.  My recipe is one that comes from my late Aunt June Burress and it makes a great pie.


 I adapted it as follows:

1 1/2 C. roughly chopped pecans
4 large eggs plus 2 yolks    (for plain Pecan Pie just use 4 lg. eggs)
1/2 C. sugar
1/2 C. butter softened to room temperature
1 C. dark Karo syrup
1/3 C. real maple syrup      (for plain Pecan pie omit Maple syrup and use 1/2 C. light Karo)
2 t. vanilla
pinch of salt
1 unbaked 9" pie crust

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  Prepare pie plate by buttering it well.  Roll out crust to 10-12" for a 9" pie plate.  Do not stretch the pastry,  my method is to fold it in half and pick it up and drape it over the front half of the plate with the fold facing away from me.  Then I can position and adjust a little if needed before unfolding the pastry back across the far portion of the dish.  Crimp the edges.  If you find yourself short on an edge use a knife and trim from another place where you have excess and pinch it into place.

Using an electric mixer beat together the eggs and sugar.  Add syrups and continue beating, adding the soft butter.   Stir in the pecans, salt and vanilla.  Pour into the chilled pie shell and bake at 350 degrees F. for 50-55 minutes.  The pie should look puffed and may look slightly cracked at the very edge.  This will cease as it cools and the steam causes it to drop into position.

Cool and serve plain or with ice cream or whipped topping.  Note:  In addition you may add additional whole pecans to the top of the pie prior to baking for a more finished look.  I have done this but I find  the whole pecans just make it more difficult to slice the pie and don't add to the flavor.

No comments: