Translate

5/15/11

Chocolate Pound Cake and a trip to the Farmer's Market

The weekend held a lot more promise than it turned out having!! I was anticipating going to the first Farmers Market of the season and finding lots of treasures. I did go, and I thought early, maybe 15 of 9 Saturday morning with it having opened at 8 AM. It was really chilly and rainy but they had sold out of nearly everything I had an interest in, except the lovely tomatoes.
A gentleman had a greenhouse and had a beautiful table of deep red tomatoes that I could not resist.
I headed over to Wright's Berry Farm hoping I would fare better there and I was not disappointed!! The fragrant berries look like glistening jewels overflowing their boxes. So I will make my first batch of strawberry jam this week and I made a beautiful old recipe I love, Chocolate Pound Cake.
This is a big pound cake is is beautiful baked in a bundt pan. It is especially good. One of the ways we enjoy it is slathered with fresh strawberries and cream.
Unfortunately Brian is sick and I came down with it last night but this was completed even though nobody feels like moving much less eating!! We have just laid around like a couple of "sick people" all day and not had a bit of fun.....Mostly I have sipped hot tea and black elderberry tea and Brian has slept. I will wrap it well and refrigerate it to keep it fresh till we can enjoy it.
Here is what you will need to make it:
2 sticks of butter at room temperature
1/2 C. shortening
3 C. sugar
5 large eggs
3 C. all purpose flour
1/2 t. baking powder
1/2 t. salt
1 t. espresso powder or instant coffee
1/2 c. cocoa
1 C. milk
1 t. real vanilla extract
Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. and spray bundt pan or tube with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
Cream together with an electric mixer the butter and shortening; add sugar. Add eggs, one at a time. Sift dry ingredients together and add alternately with milk to the creamed mixture. Add the vanilla and mix. Spread evenly into the pan you have prepared and bake for about 1 hour and 20 -25 minutes. Cook for 10-15 minutes then loosen cake with a slender knife and turn onto a platter to finish cooling. Dust with powdered sugar and serve plain or with berries and sweetened cream for an outstanding dessert. Yield 16 slices.

This cake would receive my highest rating,  a "5".




No comments: