Translate

4/7/14

Apple Dessert Squares

Apple Dessert Squares
Puff pastry can almost always be found in my freezer.  Today I wanted to make a fast simple but really yummy treat.  I have been buying Jonnagold apples At Sam's Club for under $5. for a 5 pound bag and they are my favorite cooking and eating apple and that is a great price!  I buy 2 bags a week and we cut them up almost every night through the week after supper for our dessert.  (Shameful but I don't make dessert except on Sunday most of the time.)

Ingredients for Apple Dessert Squares:

1 pkg. puff pastry thawed overnight in the refrigerator
4 cooking apples
pinch of salt
cinnamon sugar  (1/4 C. sugar to 2 t. cinnamon)
1/2 stick butter
1/4 C. powdered sugar

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.   Place parchment paper on 2 baking sheets.


Peel, core, and slice each apple.  I slice each half of an apple into 8-10 slices.  Just drop them dry into an empty bowl.  Salt lightly then toss the slices with the cinnamon and sugar.  Set aside.

Unfold the 2 sheets of puff pastry and cut each square into fourths making a total of 8 squares about 4" square each.

Place the pastry squares an inch apart on the parchment and arrange the apple slices into a pretty pattern atop the pastry.  Dot each square with a teaspoon of the butter pinched into small clumps atop the apple slices.  If you choose to sprinkle additional cinnamon and sugar atop the squares try not to get it between the pastries as it will want to burn.


Bake for 10 minutes at 400 then reduce the heat to 350 foe 15-20 minutes more until browned and the apples tender.  Remove from the oven and cool.  Sprinkle lightly with powdered sugar through a tea strainer.  Yield 8 squares.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

This was something I made for my kids as a quick dessert, a dollop of cream and ice-cream and they were happy. I also added a spoonful of strawberry jam and wrapped the apple in the pastry. Best Wishes Wendy