Translate

4/7/14

Vanilla, Vanilla Ice Cream


My birthday was in March and I am the new owner of a Cuisinart Automatic Ice Cream Maker.
I am astounded at the simplicity and speed at which this new appliance works.  Gees!  I am used to the old salt and crank ice cream.  This little machine is easy all around and fast!  Ice cream in 20-25 minutes do far.  Yummy too.  MY RULE is to place the "CHILL" bowl into the bottom of the freezer and just leave it there until needed.  After using wash, dry, and place it back in the bottom of the freezer until next time.  Then I am always ready!

This weekend I adapted 2 recipes from the manufactures recipe book and they were both great.  Here is the first.

Ingredients for Simple Vanilla Ice Cream:

1 C. 2% milk
3/4 C. sugar
2 C. heavy cream
pinch of salt
1 T. pure vanilla

Whisk together the milk, sugar, and salt until the sugar and salt are dissolved.  Add the cream and vanilla and mix thoroughly.  Refrigerate 2 hours or overnight.

Assemble the "chill" bowl and paddle in the ice cream maker and pour in the chilled liquid.  Place the cover on and turn ON.  Let it mix 20-25 minutes until it is the consistency of frozen soft serve.

I make it ahead and freeze to serve later or you could serve now.  I remove the ice cream to a covered container and freeze.  Yield about 5 cups.



Ingredients for Custard Style Vanilla Ice Cream:

2 C. 2% milk
2 C. heavy cream
1 C. sugar divided
pinch of salt
5 large egg yolks
1 T. pure vanilla

Using a heavy bottomed medium saucepan over medium heat, whisk together the milk, cream, half the sugar, and salt.  Bring to just BEFORE the boiling point.

While the milk mixture is heating combine the egg yolks and sugar in a medium bowl and whisk until very pale and thick.

When the hot mixture is just prior to the bowl whisk about 1/3 of it into the eggs, whisk in the other 1/3 of the mixture then return it all back to the saucepan.    Use a wooden spoon and stir the mixture over low heat until it thickens slightly and coats the spoon.  DO NOT BOIL!  It should thicken slightly in only a few seconds.

Pour the mixture through a mesh strainer and cool to room temperature.  Next refrigerate 2 hours or overnight.

Install the "CHILL" bowl from the freezer to the appliance and add the paddle and cold custard.  A fix the cover and turn the ice cream maker on.  Let it churn and freeze for 20-25 minutes.  This will be soft frozen and can be served or stored in a covered dish in the freezer until ready to serve.  Yield 6 cups.


2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Diane my birthday is in March as well, the 8th, this must be the reason we have connected, we are both under the Pisces star sign. Amazing. I have thought of buying an ice-cream maker but I think with all the other gadgets I have and will have to cull soon I have decided not to. I just take the grand kids out for ice-cream instead. This does look so good though, best wishes Wendy

Angela Schofield said...

Share great information about your blog , That’s what I was looking for. I am talking about all topics bundled in this blog. Blog really helpful for me. Thanks for share your blog here.

carpet steam cleaning Sydney
End of lease cleaning Eastern suburbs