Translate

4/8/14

Delicious, Easy, Mix & Pour Amish Cinnamon Bread


When I saw this recipe and shared it on Face book I knew I would make it and I have today!  My house smells delicious from it's baking and I think it just delightful.


There seems so many ways to serve this.  As a tea bread,  a sliced loaf cake topped with whipped cream or peaches? Maybe spread with a cream cheese and  apricot spread?  It seems a very handy bread to have in my freezer which is where one of the two loaves will go.  One thing I can attest too, I really do like this a lot.  It reminds me of a sour cream coffee cake but less dense and more tender.

Ingredients for Amish Cinnamon Bread:l

THE BATTER
2 sticks soft butter (1 cup)
2 C. sugar
2 large eggs
2 C. buttermilk
4 C. flour
2 t. baking powder
1/2 t. salt
2 t. vanilla

THE TOPPING
2/3 C. sugar
2 t. cinnamon

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.  Generously butter 2 loaf pans and set them aside.  Stir together the topping ingredients in a small bowl and set aside.

Using a large mixing bowl combine the butter, sugar, and eggs beating with an electric mixer until fluffy.  Mix in the buttermilk, flour, salt, and soda.  Fold in the vanilla then spread each of the 2 pans half full of the batter.  Sprinkle the batter with 3/4's of the cinnamon and sugar.  Cover the cinnamon layer with the remaining batter and smooth topping with the remaining sugar and cinnamon.

Use a table knife to swirl through the batter.


Bake for 45-60 minutes until a bamboo skewer tests clean when placed in the center of the loaf.  Remove from the oven and cool 20 minutes then loosen the edges with a knife and invert to remove from the pans.  Place on racks and cool completely.  After cold wrap well in plastic wrap or bags until ready to slice and serve.  Double wrap to freeze.  Yield 2 loaves

Ramblings:  The aroma of cinnamon is said to be an aphrodisiac to men.  Just so you know!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I am a sucker for anything with cinnamon, you have won me over with this recipe. I am totally addicted to Chai latte's at the moment, just because of the cinnamon and spices. This bread does look like it has the consistency of cake, all the better. Best Wishes wendy