Translate

6/13/14

Grandma's Yeast Donuts

Yes....I have been missing for a while!  I have traveled a bit and done some fun things!  I was lucky enough to see my grandsons graduate from nursery school and visit my Mother and son.  It was a lot of fun but I am paying now as my knees feel like buckets of bolts!! Looking forward to my shots in a couple of weeks and I will be 35 again for a while.  Chuckle.

My daughter-in-law Julie gave me this recipe of her late grandmother's.  I have intended to make it for sometime now and have just hunted the recipe for the "how to" of it.  I am going to call Brian and have him stop for some good oil for the frying of these but for now I will get it started and leave overnight as the recipe indicates.  I like that a lot!  I am giving this recipe exactly as it was given to me.

Ingredients for Yeast Donuts:

1 pkg. active dry yeast (I am using a scant tablespoon of instant yeast)
1/4 C. warm water
3/4 C. scalded milk
1 stick butter
1/4 C. sugar
1 t. salt
2 beaten eggs
4 C. sifted all purpose flour

In a big bowl combine the yeast and the water to soften.  Let sit about 5 minutes.  In a separate bowl combine the milk, butter, sugar, and salt.  Cool to lukewarm before adding to the yeast.  Add the beaten eggs and milk mixture to the yeast and mix well.  Add half the flour and beat until smooth.  Add the remaining flour and mix well.  Grease a large bowl well with oil and turn the dough into it making sure the dough is entirely coated. 

Chill several hours or overnight in the refrigerator.  Take out a good hour before handling.  Turn out onto a floured surface and divide in half.  Roll half of the dough 1/4" thick.  Cut out and place on a well greased cookie sheet and leave to rise 35-45 minutes or until doubles in size.  Fry in deep hot fat turning once.  Drain on paper towels and roll in powdered sugar or cinnamon sugar while warm.  Best served warm. 

Now the dough has been made and is safely tucked and covered in a very generously buttered bowl in the refrigerator.  I will fry them up sometime over the weekend.  I will post the results.   (Probably with sticky fingers.)

No comments: