Translate

10/1/15

The JACCARD, my favorite kitchen tool. Tenderizes meat and poultry in minutes without additives.

When you push down the blades extend into the meat tenderizing without chemicals.
Some years ago I purchased my first Jaccard only to give it away to a visiting relative who fell in love with it after eating moist, tender, and juicy skinless boneless chicken breast we had prepared after using our Jaccard in the prep.

I am now on my third one over a span of more than 35 years!  It is one tool I would never want to be without.

So just what is a Jaccard?

It is a tool that safely extends 45 very sharp stainless steel blades 1" into any meat or poultry you choose.  It has a safe handle and there are three rows of fifteen blades.  It is dishwasher safe and had a self storage case.  The blades retreat unless appropriate pressure is applied and the cover is removed.

I love it because it decreases the cooking time I would estimate by at least a third and it retains moisture more readily due to a better absorption of marinade and a shorter cooking time.

Earlier in the week I used it to tenderize 1" thick USDA Prime sirloin steaks.  Even at a grade Prime not the tenderest of steaks.  After tenderizing both sides of the beef I marinaded in Sesame Asian dressing for about an hour in the refrigerator.

To cook I seared them atop the gas range in a grill pan turned to highest heat on the first side for 3- 4 minutes.  Next I turned them and placed the cast iron grill pan in a preheated 400 degree oven for 5-6 minutes.  I removed from the oven and covered for 5 minutes then served,  delicious.  Perfect medium as my husband likes!  More the taste and texture of a T-bone than a sirloin!

The menu was steak, baked potato, sliced tomato, and fresh sliced pears with walnuts and a drizzle of honey for dessert.

I purchased my most recent JACCARD  from chefs.com and paid around $40.  I think it is well worth the investment.  They make great gifts and Christmas is just around the corner.  PS:  I DO NOT OWN STOCK AND AM NOT PAID FOR THIS ENDORSEMENT.  I just like the thing!

1 comment:

Myrna said...

Hi Diane,
Looks like a great tool. I have seen them but never knew anyone who used them.
Good to know they really work.
Thanks for the tip. The steak meal sounds good also.