Translate

10/1/15

The JACCARD, my favorite kitchen tool. Tenderizes meat and poultry in minutes without additives.

When you push down the blades extend into the meat tenderizing without chemicals.
Some years ago I purchased my first Jaccard only to give it away to a visiting relative who fell in love with it after eating moist, tender, and juicy skinless boneless chicken breast we had prepared after using our Jaccard in the prep.

I am now on my third one over a span of more than 35 years!  It is one tool I would never want to be without.

So just what is a Jaccard?

It is a tool that safely extends 45 very sharp stainless steel blades 1" into any meat or poultry you choose.  It has a safe handle and there are three rows of fifteen blades.  It is dishwasher safe and had a self storage case.  The blades retreat unless appropriate pressure is applied and the cover is removed.

I love it because it decreases the cooking time I would estimate by at least a third and it retains moisture more readily due to a better absorption of marinade and a shorter cooking time.

Earlier in the week I used it to tenderize 1" thick USDA Prime sirloin steaks.  Even at a grade Prime not the tenderest of steaks.  After tenderizing both sides of the beef I marinaded in Sesame Asian dressing for about an hour in the refrigerator.

To cook I seared them atop the gas range in a grill pan turned to highest heat on the first side for 3- 4 minutes.  Next I turned them and placed the cast iron grill pan in a preheated 400 degree oven for 5-6 minutes.  I removed from the oven and covered for 5 minutes then served,  delicious.  Perfect medium as my husband likes!  More the taste and texture of a T-bone than a sirloin!

The menu was steak, baked potato, sliced tomato, and fresh sliced pears with walnuts and a drizzle of honey for dessert.

I purchased my most recent JACCARD  from chefs.com and paid around $40.  I think it is well worth the investment.  They make great gifts and Christmas is just around the corner.  PS:  I DO NOT OWN STOCK AND AM NOT PAID FOR THIS ENDORSEMENT.  I just like the thing!

2 comments:

Myrna said...

Hi Diane,
Looks like a great tool. I have seen them but never knew anyone who used them.
Good to know they really work.
Thanks for the tip. The steak meal sounds good also.

Gypsymaison said...

your blog is unique and informative it helps us to save time.Meat Tenderizer is the popular gadget of the kitchen.