Translate

7/21/10

Katie makes Brown Sugar Snicker doodles!!

Before I begin about the cookies and Katie I wanted to mention that any brand I mention is specifically and only because I use and prefer it.  I am not paid anything or given anything from anyone to affect what I like.  AND, I AM REALLY STUBBORN ABOUT MY LIKES AND DISLIKES!!

That is probably really funny after my last post with all of the packaged ready made items lined up and photographed!! 

The truth of it is that I rarely make boxed cakes, I never buy already baked cakes, rarely buy packaged cookies and usually buy specific brands for specific things I plan to make.  Example;  I keep White Lily Flour in my freezer as I do King Arthur all purpose and bread, as well as their rye flours.  I would never make homemade biscuits without White Lily Flour and real cream.  They would not come out as well for me so I would not waste my time in proving something I already know to be true.  The same goes for making bread.  I always use King Arthur Flour and I always buy my yeast from their catalog mail order as it is always fresh and never fails.  I can use Gold Medal or Pillsbury all purpose flour for pies,  gravy, some cookies and so on and so forth.

So this recipe is adapted from one from White Lily and uses their flour which is one of many I keep on hand.

My Granddaughter Katie is spending some time with me this week and we are baking cookies.  Her Mother requested Peanut Butter or Snicker doodles.  We are trying this new version..........

Brown Sugar Snicker doodles
Non stick cooking spray ( I used non stick silpat liners instead)
1/2 C. room temperature butter
1/2 C. Crisco shortening
1/4 C. granulated sugar
1 1/4 C. firmly packed dark brown sugar
2 large eggs at room temp.
2 t. vanilla extract
3 1/2 C. White Lily All Purpose Flour
2 t. cream of tarter
1 t. soda
1/2 t. salt

Topping
6 T. sugar
4 t. cinnamon

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.  Prepare cookie sheets.
Beat butter, shortening, white and brown sugars, eggs, and vanilla in large bowl until well blended.  Measure and combine flour, cream of tarter, soda, and salt in a large sieve and sift into the shortening mixture.  Beat at low speed with mixer until well combined.

Mix the topping ingredients in a small bowl.  Shape dough into 1" balls and roll in the cinnamon sugar mixture.  If the dough is too slack or soft refrigerate for 20-30 minutes and it will firm up enough to form cookies.

Place 2" apart on prepared cookie sheets and bake 6-7 minutes until cookies are puffed and crackled on top and are set.  The centers will be soft.  Allow to cool 1 minute on baking sheet then remove to cooling rack.

Katie said these are AWESOME.  Better then regular snicker doodles or even chocolate chip cookies.
She says she can hardly wait for her Mother to taste them!!  And has asked me to be sure to xerox the recipe for her to take home tonight.  Guess she likes them hu?  Chuckle, chuckle.

No comments: