Translate

4/17/12

Roast Beef Sandwiches, Our Favorites, with or without Au Jus.

There is just nothing any easier than cooking a perfect rump roast and enjoying it for delicious sandwiches, both warm as a main dish and cold for a lunch plate.  I don't have any idea how or when I stumbled upon or evolved into this but I am sure glad I did.  Often you will see rump roast on sale and you can recognize the the thin layer of fat that appears across the top of the roast, almost like a thin layer of frosting.

I season well and drop it down into a Dutch oven (cast iron if you have it).  Turn a small oven proof plate face down or use a small round rack if you have one, often you will find them in the bottom of a pressure cooker.  At any rate I position this in the bottom of the Dutch oven and center the roast upon it.  Then I add about 1 to 1 1/2 C. fresh water to the bottom.  The rack keeps the roast from direct contact with both the liquid and the hot bottom of the pan.  The steam from the water helps give you a fork tender melt in you mouth end result. 

Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. and place the pan in the center of the oven for about 25 minutes per pound.  The meat thermometer should read between 150 and 170 degrees depending on the doneness you prefer.  I always do this first thing in the morning when I get up so I can let the roast get cold before slicing.  

My husband's Uncle and his Grandfather were butcher and when I was a young bride I watched him carve a whole ham for the first time and have always remembered his instruction to me.  "Carve the meat always after it has set and cooled and it will retain its juices much better."  This is what I do and he is right.

The cooking liquid in the bottom of the pan is like liquid gold and is referred to as the Au jus.  Strain this, taste for seasoning, it should have an intense and slightly salty flavor.  Reheat at serving time in a small pan.  You may fortify it with additional beef stock base and water if you need more. 

To assemble for a main dish Au jus sandwiches saute onions if desired and prepare sliced cheese as desired or simply stack the slices of roast beef on sliced french rolls and pass the Au jus.  We use small dipping bowls or small tea cups at each place setting for the individual to pour the steaming meat broth into.  Then the sandwich can be dipped into the hot broth for each bite.

For luncheon sandwiches I like to heat the slices of beef to just warm in the microwave while the bread I have chosen is toasting.  Then I assemble with mayonnaise and crisp lettuce.  What a wonderful lunch!!

3 comments:

Earning-My-Cape said...

...probably not a good idea for me to look at your blog before dinner... you always make me hungry! This looks sooo yummy!!!! :-)

Unknown said...

What a lovely thing to say!! Thank you, you made my morning!

Myrna said...

Diane, I am really going to have to try this. Looks so good, I can just taste it.