Translate

4/17/12

Steak 'n Taters.

Most men will tell you, at least the ones I know, they love steak and potatoes or meat and potatoes.  Perhaps it is a trait of those of us living in the "fly over" land that we cling to our meat and potatoes! (As well as pick up trucks with gun racks, work boots, and country music.)

Well anyway, I splurged at the butcher this week and bought 2 "Prime" graded rib eye steaks and prepared them last night for supper along with a potato casserole chocked full of onions, cheese,  and sour cream.  The result was a happy husband.  Further I topped off this popular meal with another favorite of my husband, fresh fruit salad for dessert.  The man went to bed with a smile on his lips after he finished smacking them that is!

Mike and Julie had given me a small clay roasting pan from Pampered Chef for my birthday and it is terrific to cook bacon in and so it was well seasoned.  Brian didn't feel like firing up the grill so I heated to oven to 425 degrees F. and let go with the potato casserole.  I think this is a knock off of the Cracker Barrel potato casserole and I first saw it at http://restaurant.recipes-network.net/cracker-barrel-hashbrown-casserole.html,  additional note: I have made adaptations as usual.

Note also please that I removed the steaks from the refrigerator 30 minutes ahead and let them come to room temperature as well as I placed the clay roasting pan in the oven to preheat it at the same time I turned the oven on to preheat.   I seasoned the steaks well with salt pepper and garlic powder before cooking. (1/4 C. black pepper, 1/4 C. garlic powder, 2 T. lemon pepper,  1 C. kosher salt)

Ingredients:

2 1/2 pounds fresh hash brown potatoes (store bought, NOT raw and freshly grated)
1 C. sour cream
1 can undiluted cream of chicken, cream of celery, or cream of mushroom soup (whatever you have on hand will do)
1 stick melted butter, cooled
3/4 C. or one large grated fresh sweet onion
2 1/2 C. freshly grated cheddar cheese
salt and black pepper

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees (Note, I did alter this and you need to be mindful if you do so and watch carefully.)   Butter generously or spray well with nonstick cooking spray a 9" x 13" pan.   Place the potatoes evenly in the prepared pan and season generously with salt and pepper.  Combine in a small bowl the butter, soup, onion, and sour cream ans whisk together well. Pour the soup mixture evenly over the potatoes and sprinkle with the grated cheese.  Bake for 45 minutes or until completely warmed and the cheese is melted and bubbling across the top. 

After I had cooked the potatoes at the higher temperature for 15 minutes I stirred them and positioned the 2 steaks in the searing hot grill pan next to them.  Set the timer for 8 minutes and pour a cold drink.  At the end of the first 8 minutes I turned the steaks and set the timer for another 8 minutes.  Finally I turned once again and set the timer for 6 minutes.  The steaks were done perfectly to medium rare but you will need to judge according to the thickness of the meat as well as you preference.

Mean time as our dinner cooked I put together a fruit salad from the left over melon and strawberries from the weekend adding a couple of sliced bananas, halved grapes, fresh blackberries and the juice of half an orange I found hiding out in the refrigerator.  It was a lovely dessert for a substantial meal.



1 comment:

Myrna said...

That steak looks really good. We are meat and potato folks also. The fruit salad isn't too shabby either. HaHa