Translate

5/3/13

Spicy Mexican Chicken & Corn Soup

As my daughter-in-law says this is a "do again!"
Today has been a whirl wind.  Since I hadn't been to the grocery for 2 weeks and things have just piled up while I have been away I needed to go full press and a pot of soup fits the bill for tonight's supper.  There should make enough to reheat for a supper next week and some lunches.  I have 6 ears of fresh corn in the downstairs refrigerator that need to be used so I have spun off an Ina Garten recipe for Mexican Chicken Soup and adapted it as my own very spicy corn  and chicken soup!  It is delicious.  We garnished with avocado,  sour cream, and shredded cheddar, yum!

Ingredients for Spicy Mexican chicken & Corn Soup:

3-4 large split bone and skin on chicken breast halves
3-4 T. olive oil
Kosher salt
Fresh ground black pepper
2 large diced onions
2 C. diced celery
3 C. diced carrots
4 large cloves garlic chopped
2 1/2 quarts chicken stock
28 Oz. can crushed tomatoes
4 fresh jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped
1 1/2 t. ground cumin
1 1/2 t. ground coriander seed
6 ears fresh corn cut from the cob or 3-4 C. frozen sweet corn
1/4-1/2 C. chopped cilantro
6 fresh corn tortillas

Garnish with avocado, sour cream, shredded cheese, and tortilla chips.



Just slip the meat from the bones!
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.  Cover a half sheet pan with heavy duty foil and drizzle with a small amount of olive oil.  Salt and pepper the chicken breasts and place them on the prepared sheet.  Roast bone side down in the oven for about 40-45 minutes.  Remove and set aside to cool.  When the chicken is cool enough to handle discard the skin and bones and shred with your fingers.  Set aside in the refrigerator.




A gentle simmer is perfect!
Meanwhile, heat 3 T. oil in the bottom of a soup kettle or dutch oven.  Add the onions, carrots, and celery and saute for 8-10 minutes over medium heat.  Add the garlic and stir around for a half a minute or so.  Add the stock, tomatoes, peppers, cumin, coriander, and taste for salt, adding to taste.  Add 1 t. pepper, and the cilantro.  Bring the soup to a boil and cut the tortillas into strips and add them and the chicken.   After it returns to a boil reduce to a simmer and let it slow simmer for 20-25 minutes.  Serve up and garnish.  Yield 8-10 servings.



2 comments:

Unknown said...

Once again another recipe that I have never tried. We have a lot of mexican food here but never soup, if you reassure me it's good I will try it. I made burritos last night using my girlfriends home made salsa and it was amazing, I'll have to get the recipe from her.

Unknown said...

Consider yourself reassured! We loved it and it is really good. It is a very fresh taste and not heavy but lots and lots of flavor. Comparatively lower in fat and calories than soups with red meat. Normally I do not care for chicken and vegetable soups as they are too bland for my tastes. I seeded the hot peppers so it was not really hot hot hot. Just very flavorful. I also used the 1/4 C. of cilantro as hubby not a big fan but he loved this. It was just right.