Translate

10/26/13

Ahhhh-----a Lovely Cure, Magic Potion/Kadha, Soothing my Cough and Cold!

This is an age old Indian potion passed down from generation to generation.
Quite by accident, actually in an earlier post I asked if anyone could tell me the difference between green and black cardamom.  At this point a wonderful reader, Ashwini Deshpande explained in such lovely terms both the difference and usage I was intrigued enough to follow her back to thank her.  Upon doing so I discovered her blog,  indulge-ashscorner.blogspot.com and her lovely story and recipe for this concoction!

Her mother had made it many times for her as a child as she now does for her children.  Insomuch as I have everything called for I gathered and made so for myself.  IT IS QUITE LOVELY.  I will make it again.  Plus I think I actually feel a bit better!  Thank you Ashwini!

Here is her recipe for Magic Potion/Kadha:

1 1/2 C. water
1 Green Cardamom Crushed with skin and seed
2 whole cloves
1/2" stick cinnamon
1/2" ginger grated
1/2 t. lemon grass, fresh or dried
1 T. basil leaves
honey to taste

Using a small pan add the water and the above ingredients except exclude the honey for now. 

Heat over medium heat and let the potion simmer until the spices give out their extracts and the water changes to a slightly light green color.  Strain into a mug discarding the herbs and spices.   Add honey to taste and enjoy!  Enjoy 2-3 times a day until you are feeling better, and I will!

No comments: