Translate

10/17/14

Parting Thoughts as this Quilt is Finished. How I stop to rethread and how I start again. A look at corners and the underside.

Last night when Brian came home I was down to the last six inches and he was happy to let me finish this quilt before supper.  Of course he was pleased to see a new batch of cookies too!  These are a repeat of the Cinnamon Crisp Monster Cookies and bake for 18 minutes which worked in well with this sewing project!     thehiddenpantry.blogspot.com/2014/04/cinnamon-crisp-monster-cookies.html


You bake them by 1/4th cup mounds and they yield 24 "monster" cookies!  I am sharing the link back to the recipe above.

I really like the way the corners turned out,  I think it very nice. I also like the appearance of the underside of the finished quilt.

To finish this way I use a very large needle and of course the lovely alpaca yarn.  I want to share with you how I finish a line of thread and start again and hide having done so!

This is more or less a darning needle.
When down to 3-4" of thread I pierce back into the last stitch to end.
After pulling through do not pull tight but insert the needle back through the loop then pull taught. Repeat this again.
Next I bury the thread by inserting the needle and running it back 1-2" then back out through the top.
Here you can see the needle going in then the tip coming out an inch back.
Now I clip the thread.
To start again after re-threading my needle with yarn I take the following steps to hide where I am starting.
After threading the needle tie a knot in the end and trim.
Open a stitch about 1/2"  to 1"in front of the ending knot.
Insert the needle and push it back between the layers of fabric and up at the ending knot.
Pull the thread gently through.
When the knot gets to the stitch you have coaxed open work it down between the layers and pull taut.
Now you are ready to start again.
 FINISHED AND READY TO START NUMBER 3.

No comments: