Translate

10/9/14

Triple Apple Loaf Cake with Peanut Butter Frosting PLUS Trying a New Product, Boiled Cider from The King Arthur Co.

Apple cake and Peanut Butter Icing......yum!
Today I was committed to doing something with the last 10-12 pounds of apples Mike Linton brought the other day. 

This apple slicer/core remover makes the job easier and the slices uniform.
I really like the idea of making the cooked apple pie fillings and freezing the fillings in foil and plastic lined pie plates then labeling and stacking up the frozen disks in the deep freeze!    I think I have 8 or 10 now.    thehiddenpantry.blogspot.com/2014/09/apple-pie-filling-to-freeze-just-pop.html      This is the link to that recipe.

I line them up then let them cool something under 2 hours.
Yesterday my order from King Arthur Four came with the much awaited 3 pounds of cinnamon chips and bread sacks. Plus, a bottle of their much touted "boiled cider".  It is said to give apple products a real flavor boost and I am anxious to flavor some of these pie fillings with it as well as a cake I have a yen for!  Love trying something new and their products have never disappointed me!  I stirred in a tablespoon of the boiled cider to the filling for 3 pies.

This does add a depth of apple flavor and I am all about flavor!
This cake recipe is adapted from one I found on Food52.com and they credited Cara Eisenpress.  I have cherished memories of my Grandmother making her apple cake with peanut butter frosting.  However I don't want to make a great big cake.  In fact a loaf cake was just what I had in mind.  Since Brian and I will probably consume most of this I wanted it to be chocked full of flavor and things we love.  The peanut butter icing is a walk down memory lane.  If you have never eaten a slice of crisp, juicy, sweet apple with a glob of peanut butter clinging to it, I urge you to do so.  Only then will you have a full appreciation for what I am doing here!

Diced apple, raisins, and walnuts tossed in cinnamon sugar!
Ingredients for Triple Apple Loaf Cake with Peanut Butter Frosting:

1/2 C. grape seed, safflower,  or other oil
3/4 C. + 2 T. sugar
1/4 C, maple syrup
1 extra large egg
1 t. vanilla extract
1 T. boiled cider (or apple cider or apple juice)
1 1/4 C. unsweetened applesauce
1 C. flour
1/2 C. whole wheat flour
1/2 t. salt
2 t. + 1/2 t. cinnamon
1/8 t. nutmeg
1/4 t. ginger
1 t. baking powder
1 apple. peeled. cored, and diced
1/2 C. golden raisins
1/2 C. chopped walnuts

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.   Cut out parchment paper or foil to line loaf pan and butter and flour well.  Set aside.

Chop the walnuts coarsely and toss with 2 tablespoons of sugar and 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon and set aside.

Stir together in a medium sized bowl the flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, salt, baking powder, and raisins and set aside.

Beat the egg in a larger bowl then add the sugar, maple syrup, vanilla, boiled cider, applesauce, and oil until thickened.

I didn't even get out my mixer for this!
Fold in the dry ingredients just until well blended.  Stir in the apples and nuts being sure you scrape in all of the cinnamon and sugar from the nuts!

Lining pan with parchment gives sharp corners and easy removal from the pan.
Pour into the prepared loaf pan and bake for 1 hour until a pick inserted into the center comes out clean.  Cool completely.

Plus looking good ti smelled great while baking!
Ingredients for Peanut Butter Frosting:

1 1/2 C. powdered sugar
1 T. soft butter
2 T. cream
1/2 t. vanilla
1-2 rounded T, peanut butter (to taste)

Combine all of the ingredients and beat with an electric mixer adding droplets of cream until the desired consistency.   Adjust the amount of peanut butter to your taste and liking.  Frost cooled cake.

If you can resist devouring this it will keep nicely for 5-7 days, longer if refrigerated.





No comments: