Translate

8/2/10

Broccoli Raisin Salad

Some time back Lazarus was the major department store in our area.  I worked for them for many years and this is a salad they often served on their salad buffet.  I adapted the recipe from the way their restaurant manager gave it to me.






1 C. Hellman's Mayonnaise
1/2 C. sugar
1 T. cider vinegar
2 bunches of fresh broccoli florets cut to be bite size
1/2 pound diced and cooked bacon
1 small onion finely diced
7-8 oz raisins

This recipe can be made using the raw broccoli or it is quite good using blanched broccoli.  I am using the blanched today and made it ahead yesterday after blanching green beans.  I often do a couple of green vegetables using the same boiling water and blanching the mildest veggies first and the stronger flavor last.  I drained and dried the broccoli and stored refrigerated in a plastic bag.

Blend the dressing by mixing the mayo, sugar, and vinegar.  Combine the broccoli, bacon, onion, and raisins in a mixing bowl and gently fold in the dressing.  Serve slightly chilled.  Tastes best when served the same day.  Yields 3-4 pints.

No comments: