Translate

2/3/11

Cottage Cheese with Three Bean Soup

Lots of families have things they have paired up and eat uniquely their own. Elvis had his grilled peanut butter and banana sandwich, some eat scrambled eggs with ketchup. Among our exclusive odd but yummy pairings is beans and cottage cheeseI have never met anyone else who admitted to this pairing but I must say it is truly delicious. I think it came from my Dads' side of the family and it is any kind of hot bean dish, from green beans to baked, to bean soup topped with a generous portion of cottage cheese.

If it is a bean we want our cottage cheese topping it and only then is it ready to eat. I would never dream of cooking a pot of dried beans unless I had cottage cheese to go with it. My husband is an enthusiastic convert!

Here is what you need for the soup:

1 1/2 C. dry navy beans
1 1/2 C. dry great northern beans
1 1/2 C. dry pinto beans
1 gal. tap water for soaking
3 qt. chicken stock
2-3 chicken bullion cubes
2 bay leaf
1 lg. onion diced
2 cloves garlic mashed
1 fresh or dried hot pepper
2 C. diced ham (optional)
1 t. salt
1/2 t. pepper

Soak the beans overnight then drain and rinse well to get any sand or grit washed away. Pick any bad beans and remove them as necessary.

Combine in a large heavy bottomed kettle or crock pot the rest of the ingredients. If Using a crock pot turn on high and cook until done then reduce to low. If you are cooking on the stove I bring to a boil and turn back to medium until they soften and then I just simmer the rest of the day. You may need to add water if it becomes too dry.

When it is time to serve top with a generous dollop of cottage cheese and enjoy.


6 comments:

Merut said...

This is bizarre to me. I will admit to the eggs with ketchup (it is pathetic, but true). But beans with cottage cheese? I may be trying this just out of curiosity. My real question is, what compelled somebody to try this combination in the first place? I guess that is how genius is born.

Unknown said...

Soooo please let me know what you think if you try it!!!!

Thanks a bunch..

Unknown said...

I LOVE LOVE LOVE Cottage Cheese with my Ham & Beans or Bacon & Beans soup. I use more than a dollop and I also, like you, cannot eat beans without it. If I go to a restaurant that serves bean soup, I have to find out if they have cottage cheese or I will not order it.

Unknown said...

You are the first person I have ever come across in my 64 years outside of our immediate family who ever has even heard of this much less loved it as we obviously do. Are we related ya think???

Love your note and comment. Thanks so much. Diane

donnac said...

I also eat this. It began as I like to top my beans with a dollop of sour cream, but then switched to Greek yogurt, and realized cottage cheese is also a low fat buttery tasting cheese with some texture. So, now I eat beans with cottage cheese.

Unknown said...

Love it . My grandma would make fresh refried bean soup and shredded cheese and cottage cheese.. it's so good