Translate

12/15/11

Gingersnaps

Old time Gingersnaps.
"A pungent gingersnap.......crispy on the edges but soft in the center."  This is the original description given in my Betty Crocker Cookbook.   This sounded very appealing to me and it turned out to be a spot on description.  I look forward to making my adaptation of them each winter,  I associate them with the cold winter weather. AND YOU KNOW HOW I LOVE THE HOUSE TO SMELL ALL WONDERFUL WITH GOOD THINGS BAKING!!! These certainly do the trick on all fronts.

Gingersnaps:

3/4 C. coconut oil or other shortening
1 C. packed brown sugar
1 egg
1/4 C. molasses
2 1/4 C. flour
2 t. soda
1 t. Vietnamese cinnamon
1 t. Ginger
1/2 t. ground cloves
1/4 t. salt
granulated sugar for rolling cookies

Mix together the shortening, brown sugar, egg, and molasses.  Blend in the remaining ingredients except the granulated sugar.  Place in a bowl or wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least an hour.

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.  Shape the dough by teaspoonfuls into uniform sized balls and roll them in the sugar before placing them on parchment or silicone mats to bake.

If using just a cookie sheet, grease lightly.  Place the balls up to 3" apart on the baking sheets and bake for 10-12 minutes or until just set.  Remove from the baking sheet and cool before storing in an airtight container.

Yield 3 dozen cookies.

3 comments:

Balvinder said...

I could not go to your post from food buzz.the ginger snaps look perfectly done.You talked about Vietnamese cinnamon, Does it taste different?

TinaRBK said...

I am sure that between the smell and the taste of these cookies, they could easily put the holiday spirit in anyone! I am sure there are none of these gems left by now. That is, if you did not hide them! Have a great day.

Unknown said...

Yes, it has a stronger and sweeter flavor. I wouldn't cook without it. I have waited for it to arrive to make recipes calling for cinnamon. Guess you could say I really love the stuff!! I have seen it periodically at specialty stores but I mostly order it from the King Arthur flour Co. on line or from their catalog. I am sorry to hear you have had difficulty reaching me from Food buzz. Thanks for your comment!!!