Translate

12/17/11

Oyster Stew

These oysters are done because the edges have curled.
Brian's Grandma Ruby Cosby of Washington, Indiana (may she rest in peace) always had all of the family to their house on Christmas Eve for oyster stew.  I do not know how she made hers.  I only know how my family has always made it.  (Dad LOVED it and so we all had it several times a season.)  Brian asked for it today before I went to the grocery so I am making tonight for us for supper.  It seems a nice supper for the Christmas Season.  If one like oysters it is a sure fire hit.

Here is how I make it:

1 pint of fresh oysters with liquor
1/4 c. butter
2 C. milk
1/2 C. cream
Salt
Freshly ground black pepper

Melt the butter in a heavy bottomed pan and add the oysters with their liquor.

Saute just until the edges of the oysters curl then add the milk, cream, salt, and pepper to taste.  Heat just to steaming hot. Do not boil.  Pour into warm mugs and serve with crisp saltine crackers.  Yield 2 servings.

No comments: