Translate

1/20/12

Honey Biscotti

My excursion to the Library led to finding a terrific book all about honey.  I had told my oldest son there were healing properties in honey and he was less than sure that I knew what I was talking about.  This book tells all of the wonderful and beneficial things that is in honey and it does have healing properties.

I love to cook with honey, and am always on the lookout for those recipes that use it in some way.  This Biscotti recipe has tons of the things I love in it and cannot help but be good.  That was my thinking before baking them up.  Now, after tasting them I would have to say they are absolutly delicious.

The book is titled, The Healing Powers of Honey by Cal Oray and he gives a good number of recipes.  I of course did a little amending here and there but then again, don't we all??

Here is my version:

1/4 C. sugar
1 3/4 C. flour
1 t. baking powder
1/2 t. kosher salt
1 t. Vietnamese  Cinnamon
1/4 t. ground cloves
1/2 t. grated fresh nutmeg
3 egg whites
2 1/2 T. Safflower oil
1/2 C. honey
1/4 t. almond extract
3/4-1 C. Chopped nut meats (I used equal parts almonds, walnuts, and pecans)
1/4 C. chopped maraschino cherries
Zest of 1 whole orange
1 T. cherry syrup if needed (I did not use.)
2 Oz. melted semi-sweet chocolate (melt in a glass bowl over simmering water.)

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.  Cover a half sheet pan with aluminum foil and coat with cooking spray.  Set aside.

Measure the dry ingredients and spices into a large mixing bowl and whisk them together.  Make a well in the center and set aside.   Using another bowl mix the eggs, oil,honey, and almond stirring well.

Pour the egg mixture into the well and stir, add the orange zest, nuts, cherries, and syrup if needed.  The dough will be a bit sticky.  Turn it out on a well floured surface and knead a few turns adding additional flour to reach a workable dough.  Divide into three equal portions and form each into a 2 x 12" log.  Place the logs on the baking sheet leaving 4" between each log.  Bake in the preheated oven 20 minutes until firm to the touch.




Remove from the oven and cool 15 minutes.  Cut diagonally with a serrated knife into 1/2" thick slices.  Place cut side down back on the baking sheet and return to the oven for 9-10 Minutes.





Cool completely and drizzle or dip ends in melted chocolate.  Cool again then store in an airtight container.  Yield 30-35 pieces.

5 comments:

TinaRBK said...

My jar of honey is just about to the end. I will need to get some more, we always have to have it around. There is some foodie I know that is a beekeeper, can't remember who but how amazing would it be to have your own fresh honey!
Anyhow the biscotti looks delicious and perfect for teatime. That extra zing of chocolate is a yummy addition too. Enjoy the weekend!

Unknown said...

My husband has always wanted to have a beehive!! Can't go without honey! If you find they have honey to sell and ship let me know. I have a man down the road here I buy from but love the tasting of different types of honey!! Thanks for your kind words. I enjoyed the biscotti this very morning and it was great!! The spices with the orange peel and chocolate WOW. It is not as hard as normal biscotti either. Has a bit of a "chew" from the honey.

Liz That Skinny Chick Can Bake said...

This looks like the perfect accompaniment for my morning tea...mmmmmm.

Helenscooking said...

I love those! I love everything with honey and it definitely has healing powers! These biscotti are produced an sold in Eastern Europe same as way as Twix or m&ms here ;) I love them ! It last I can cook those at home,

Unknown said...

Thank you, thank you, I really appreciate you generous and kind comments. I am just tickled to death to get this wonderful feedback!!!