Translate

8/9/12

Double Chocolate Chip Banana Mini Loaves

Every time the King Arthur Flour Catalog comes in the mail I will have to admit It is just like getting a seed catalog in the dead of winter of that first Christmas catalog.  I can't wait to sit down and check out the new recipes and see if any new products will tempt me!

Yesterday was just such a day and I noticed this recipe on page 12.  I have seen recipes for chocolate banana bread before and not tried them but today it struck me and as it happened I had 3 large sweet ripe bananas waiting for something to do!  So here is my version of their recipe,  it is delicious.  I put 3 mini loaves double wrapped snugly into the freezer and enjoyed a taste of the fourth.  They will be handy if I need a quick hostess gift or a refreshment I had not planned on making.

Ingredients for Double Chocolate Chip Banana Bread:

1 1/2 C. All purpose flour (I use King Arthur)
1 1/2 t. baking soda
scant 1/2 t. salt
3 T. cocoa (I use King Arthur Baking Cocoa)
3/4 C. soft butter
3/4 C. sugar
1 extra large egg or 1 large egg plus 1 yolk
1 1/2 t. vanilla
1 1/2 C. mashed banana
3/4 C. sour cream
1 1/2 C. semi sweet chocolate chips

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.   Grease and flour 4 mini loaf pans, 3 1/4" x 5 3/4"  or one 9" x 5" loaf pans and 2 mini loaf pans and set them aside.

Combine the flour, soda, salt,  cocoa, and chocolate chips and stir them together so they are well mixed and the chips, because they are coated with the flour mixture, will not sink to the bottom of the pans.  Set this aside.

Using a mixing bowl beat together the butter and sugar until creamy.  Beat in the egg and stir in the vanilla, bananas, and sour cream.  Slowly mix in the dry ingredients and chocolate chips just until well incorporated. 

Pour the batter into the prepared pans and bake for 45 to 60 minutes until loaves test done with a pick inserted into the center.  Remove from the oven and rest in the pans 10 minutes and remove to finish cooling on a rack.

Yield 4 mini loaves.

PS:  King Arthur Recipes are always good!  At least all of the ones I have ever tried.  These are delicious and I can't wait to spring them on my grandchildren.


No comments: