Translate

8/1/12

Drop Dead BEST Oatmeal Chocolate Chunk Cookie EVER

Well, there is a reason I so enjoy my almost daily visits with Sue and Myrna at their blog, The Iowa Housewife.  These two sisters more than any other blog I have ever seen, KNOW THEIR STUFF!! I often comment that I will put one of their recipes in my, "must try" stack.  This is just such a recipe.

Sue wrote that she has been baking this recipe for 44 years since her new husband John had requested oatmeal cookies.  She got the recipe off of an oatmeal box and has not messed with it's success, as it is her husbands favorite cookie. 

My husband too loves oatmeal cookies and he loved my oatmeal cookies, until I made these!  Crisp yet tender, no cinnamon or spices.  Use the best vanilla in these because it shines.  You can use raisins or chocolate chips but I went with chocolate chunks.  They are fantastic.

Oatmeal Chocolate Chunk Cookies Ingredient List:

1 C. Shortening (I use Crisco)
1/2 C. soft butter
1 C. sugar
2 C. brown sugar (I used light brown)
2 large eggs
1/2 C. water
2 t.  real vanilla
2 C. flour ( I use King Arthur)
1 t. soda
1 1/2 t. salt
6 C. oats (I used Quick Oats)
12 ounce package semi sweet chocolate chunks, or 2 C. raisins, or a cup of nuts and a cup of raisins

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

Cream   together the shortening, butter,sugar, brown sugar, eggs, water, and vanilla until light and fluffy.

Mix together the flour, soda, and salt and beat it into the creamed mixture.  Stir in the oats by hand or using a large mixer.  Stir in the  chocolate chunks. 

Drop on parchment, silpat mats, or ungreased cookie sheets and bake 12-15 minutes.

Let them rest a few minutes before removing them to racks to cool.  Yield 5 dozen. 

Note, the cookies can also be formed and frozen and baked at a later time.


No comments: