Translate

1/5/13

Risotto Primavera

Creamy and Flavorful I Found this to be a Great Risotto.
I love Risotto but I hate the part where you dirty up an extra pan for the hot liquid and I hate the standing and stirring and dipping and stirring.......just such a long drawn out affair when you are trying to get everything to the table hot and at the same time.  Perhaps had I grown up fixing it instead of fried chicken and mashed potatoes and gravy it would seem more natural to me.

While visiting the ladies at theiowahousewife.blogspot.com, one of my favorite spots in the blogosphere, I saw this recipe Sue had posted from Better Homes and Gardens 75 Years of All Time Favorites.  When I read the recipe I got excited when the cooking directions were to add the pepper and chicken stock, cover, and simmer at low heat for 25 minutes!!  Hooray!  Gotta try this one!

Tonight my sick with the flu hubby requested salmon patties for his dinner and it was the perfect opportunity to try the risotto as the side dish. This is my adaptation of their recipe.

Ingredients for Risotto Primavera:

1/4 C. thinly sliced celery
1/2 C. thinly sliced green onions tops included
2-3 large cloves of garlic minced
large pinch of freshly ground black pepper
2 T. butter
2/3 C. Arborio rice
2 C. chicken stock
1 C, frozen peas
1/2 C. freshly grated Parmesan cheese
zest of 1 lemon

In a medium saucepan with a tight fitting lid cook the celery, onion, and garlic uncovered in the butter for 2 minutes until the vegetables are tender.  Stir in the rice and cook and continue to stir for about 2 more minutes.  You want the all of rice to be coated with the butter.  Stir in the chicken broth and add the pepper.  Bring to a boil.  Reduce the heat to a very low simmer and cover.  Simmer over very low heat for 25 minutes.  DO NOT lift the lid until the time is up.  Stir in the frozen peas and put the lid back on at the end of the cooking time.  Turn off the heat and let the covered pan stand for 5 minutes.  Stir in the Parmesan cheese and lemon zest and serve.  Well worth the effort and perfectly done creaminess!  Thank you Sue and Myrna for sharing another great recipe.

No comments: