Translate

3/2/11

French Onion Soup

Nothing comes to mind that is any sweeter and aromatic than a sumptuous kettle of French Onion Soup slowly bubbling away on the stove. Curiously I don't think of it as a winter soup. Not heavy and hearty, rather a sweet spring concoction....in my mind anyway.
As it happens I am all about not being wasteful so when I found there were lots of sliced raw onions left from the birthday bash the Saturday before last I set out to find a worthy use for them. They have been lingering in a large flat Tupperware dish in the bottom of my extra refrigerator. When I peeked today they were as perfect as the day I sliced them.
After a quick trip to the grocery for Swiss cheese I'll be ready to set about making my brew.
Two weeks ago I had made three sourdough baguettes and frozen two. We had grilled slices for Sunday dinner and I held back 6-7 slices and thought they would do nicely if I were to dry them in the oven to top my onion soup. So before I ran to the store I placed them on a tray in the oven at 200 degrees to finish drying.
Ingredients for the soup:

1-1/2 pounds onions sliced 1/8 " thick
1-1/2 quarts beef stock ( I used frozen homemade but store bought works fine too)
2-3 oz. dry vermouth
2 T. butter
2 T. olive oil
1 t. salt
1 t. sugar
1/2 t. black pepper
Combine the oil and butter in a large heavy bottomed kettle and add the onions, salt, pepper, and sugar. Cook over medium heat stirring occasionally for about 30 minutes until the onions are soft and slightly golden but not brown. Add the vermouth to deg laze the pan and stir. Add the beef stock and return to a simmer. It can sit at simmer for a while or be served anytime at this point
To serve ladle the hot soup into large flat oven proof bowls and top with the slices of the breads you have toasted or dried. Atop the floating barges place shreds or slices of Swiss cheese and place under the hot broiler until bubbly and crusty. Serve immediately and be prepared to make seconds!!

No comments: