Translate

3/3/11

Toasted Coconut Macaroons

This is adapted from a Barefoot Contessa program starring Ina Garten whose recipes I have tried are always good. There are many I do not try as we don't have all that seafood here in the Midwest. But her baking is stellar. After tasting these I wondered how in the world I could have lived to be over 60 years old and had never made these???

My husband, sisters, Mother, and two of my sons all are crazy about coconut so these should get a lot of traction around here. They are wonderful. I used the Tahitian Vanilla which pushed them the rest of the way over the flavor edge!!

Here is what you need:

14 Oz. sweetened shredded coconut
14 Oz. sweetened condensed milk
1 t. vanilla (I used the Tahitian vanilla)
2 extra large egg whites at room temperature
1/4 t. kosher salt

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. and line pans with parchment paper. Yield 24 macaroons.

Combine the coconut, condensed milk, and vanilla in a large bowl stirring well. Whip the salt and egg whites together with an electric mixer on high speed until medium-firm peaks form. 

Carefully fold the egg whites into the coconut mixture. 

Drop the batter by 1/3/4" scoop or 2 teaspoons onto the parchment leaving space between them. Bake 25-30 minutes until golden brown. Cool on the parchment then remove and serve.

No comments: