Translate

7/6/11

Doughnut Muffins

Doughnut Muffins
Yummy!! That is all I have to say about these wonderful Doughnut Muffins!! Brian has asked about doughnuts twice recently so I thought I would give these a spin.

If you like the cake doughnuts that taste of nutmeg and vanilla sprinkled with cinnamon and sugar these are for you.

They are NOT the heavy dry muffins you might imagine but rather a tall light cake doughnut like treat.
I came across the recipe at the King Arthur Flour site and this is my adaptation. It is a "do again"!!

The Batter:

1/4 C. soft butter
1/4 C. canola oil
1/2 C. sugar
1/3 C. packed brown sugar
2 large eggs
1 1/2 t. baking powder
1/4 t. baking soda
1 to 1 1/4 t. freshly ground nutmeg, to taste
3/4 t. salt
1 t. Tahitian vanilla
2 2/3 C. all purpose flour
1 C. milk

Topping:

3 T. melted butter
3 T. cinnamon sugar

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. and grease muffin tin. You may line with paper and then spray with non-stick spray. 

Using a medium sized bowl cream the butter and oil and add the sugars, mixing until smooth.
Add the eggs, beating to combine.

Stir in the baking powder, soda, nutmeg, salt, and vanilla.

Stir in the flour alternately with the milk, beginning and ending with flour making sure everything is well combined.

Spoon the batter evenly to make 12 muffins. Fill the cups nearly full.

Bake 17 minutes until tester inserted into the middle come out clean.

Hot from the oven.
Remove the pan from the oven and cool a few minutes. As they are cooking melt the butter for the topping. 

Applying the Cinnamon Sugar Topping.
Use a pastry brush and paint each muffin top with butter generously then dip it into the cinnamon sugar mixture until well coated.

Serve warm, or cool. Store in an airtight container for a day or two at room temperature.

Yield 12 big muffins.

3 comments:

csr said...

Thanks for using our resources as the springboard for your muffin recipe. Your post is picture perfect! Happy Baking! Irene @ KAF

Lisa said...

My family loves these muffins. I think we'd eat them every day if we could. I have a sweet treat linky party going on at my blog till Monday night and I'd love it if you'd come by and link your muffins up. http://sweet-as-sugar-cookies.blogspot.com/2011/07/sweets-for-saturday-25.html

Unknown said...

Wow!! Thanks so much. First I LOVE all things King Arthur. I have been a customer for years and would not dream of changing. My list of favorite products is a long one!!

Secondly to Lisa thanks so much. Do not know exactly what you mean so I will do what I can. Thanks for the invitation.