Translate

7/13/11

Triple Berry Pie with Sweet Cream

Fresh pie of strawberries, red raspberries, and blueberries topped with sweetened whipped cream.
If ever there were a list of summer mealtime delights my family would I feel sure include strawberry, blueberry, blackberry, black raspberry, red raspberry and every other berry pies. Long has this been a loved pie at our house.

I remember my late father's favorite pie was called an Amber pie and it was a cream pie made from the juices of crushed black raspberries. 

At any rate I have the need to use up these fresh berries (strawberries, red raspberries, and blueberries) and I have a great recipe from my dear friend Natalie Hite who got this from her Mother in Kendalville, Indiana.  I also have on hand a frozen pie pastry from the last batch of crust I made up so I am ready to go.

These dry beans are stored and used over again to blind bake pie shells.
First thing is to get the pastry out and let it thaw. Next I am going to find my can of dried beans I use for blind baking a pie crust. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Rinse and drain the berries and remove the stems. Set them aside to drain and dry a bit.

Docked and baked pie shell.
After rolling the crust and placing it in a deep dish glass pie shell I "dock" the crust which is to prick it all over with the tines of a fork. Next I tear a sheet of parchment paper and place it across the unbaked pie crust and empty the beans into the center until filled. 

Bake in the center of the oven 25 minutes. Then remove the beans with a big spoon into a heat proof dish and take off the parchment paper. Return to the oven for 7-10 minutes until lightly browned.

Set aside to cool.

I used a deep dish plate because I want a big deep pie to use up a lot of fruit.

6 C. assorted berries

Glaze: I doubled the recipe to make a large pie but didn't need quite all of it.

2 C. sugar
2 C. water
6 T. cornstarch
4 T. white Karo syrup
pinch of salt
6 T. red jello

1 pt. whipping cream
3-4 T. sugar

Stir together the sugar, cornstarch, and salt in a medium sized heavy bottomed pan and add the water, Add the corn syrup and stir together well over medium high heat to a full rolling boil. 

Strawberry glaze made from my on hand ingredients.
Remove from the heat and stir in red flavored jello of your choice until all is dissolved. Since I had a lot of strawberry that was the flavor I selected. 

Let this cool.

Assorted berries piled high.
Place enough of the cooled glaze mixture in the bottom of the pie shell to coat it well. Arrange the berries in an attractive manner, heaping them upon themselves. Using a ladle cover the berries well with the glaze trying to cover each and every berry. Set in the refrigerator until serving time.

Looks good enough to eat and it is!!
Pour the heavy whipping cream into a deep bowl and add half of the sugar. Whip with an electric mixer until stiff peaks form. Taste and adjust sugar if needed. Chill until serving time. Then place a dollop atop each slice of pie and stand back for the ahhhh's.

NOTE; IF YOU ARE MAKING AN 8" PIE USING 4 C. OF BERRIES AS IS THE NORM, CUT THE GLAZE RECIPE IN HALF AS IT WAS ORIGINALLY INTENDED.

No comments: