Translate

2/8/13

Hot Cocoa Mix in a Jar, Just in Time for Valentine's Day Giving!

Things have been so crazy around here since well before Christmas and this week has been no exception.  Finally though, I am hopeful anyway, we have passed the turmoil and will settle back down to a pleasant every day life.  Hopefully everyone is on the recovery list and on the way to good health and spring is just around the corner.....my lands!  Valentine's Day is next week!!

Given that realization I am planning some special cookies next week to give my Grandchildren and children and a special jar of a homemade hot cocoa mix.  We have 3 sons and I think I will make up another jar and give one to each family.  I just finished 2 and took a photo to share with you as this is such a nice idea some of you might like to try it too.  When my boys were young and at home I always kept a big jar made up of my special homemade cocoa mix.  This recipe is a bit more special as it includes mini semi sweet chocolate chips and miniature marshmallows.  I made them in layers using a funnel in quart jars.  It does look special and festive and a piece of red fabric fastened under the band with a red ribbon should do just the trick!! I will work on that too.

Ingredients for each quart jar of dry Homemade Cocoa Mix:

1 C. granulated sugar
1 C. unsweetened cocoa powder
1 C. powdered milk
1/2 C. mini chocolate chips
1/2 C. miniature marshmallows
1/2 t. salt

Layer 1/2 C. granulated sugar in the bottom of each jar you are making.  Next add 1/2 c. cocoa powder, 1 C. powdered milk, 1/2 c. cocoa, 1/2 C. granulated sugar, 1/2 t. salt, 1/2 C. mini chocolate chips, and 1/2 C miniature marshmallows. 

Gently lift the jar and tap it several times on the counter to tamp down the ingredients and then top off again with additional marshmallows.  Top with a seal and screw on the band.  Cut about a 5" square of red or other fabric and remove the band.  Lay the fabric atop the seal evenly and screw on the band.  Add a ribbon around the screw top and a card.

The instructions for the card should be to empty all of the contents into a large bowl and mix well.  Measure 1/3 C. of the mix into a mug and add 1 C. of boiling water, stirring to mix and melt the ingredients.  Return any remaining mix to the jar and reseal until needed.  Yield 12 servings per 1 quart of mix. 

I am going to make up another jar and gussy them up a bit and I will add that photo later.  For now I just wanted to get this idea out there for anyone who might like to give it a try.  I LOVE food gifts in jars!  To receive them as well as to give them.

No comments: