Translate

2/6/13

Pileated Woodpecker Visits Our Window Today.

Pileated Woodpecker @10:30 AM this morning. Picture taken by my friend and next door neighbor, Doris.
Many years I have been visited by Pileated Woodpeckers in the wooded area where we reside.  But not every year and not this year......that is until TODAY!  Never have I been able to get a picture of one, not until today. 

It was amazing as my neighbor Doris and I visited I saw something very large land in the big old tree directly in front of our living room's picture window.  The big branches come within just a couple of inches of the house and squirrels daily jump from roof to house and back in play.  I thought it a white tailed hawk at first as it blended with the snarl of branches.  It was when the stark pointed top notch arose I gasped at the blood red streak it made in my field of vision and Doris and I in unison gasped, "A Pileated Woodpecker!"

It was Doris who thought of the camera and for that I am grateful.  I was so thrilled to have him within 3 feet of the window I was aflutter.  Quietly I stood from the rocker where I had sat and quietly stepped backward through the dining room towards the kitchen where my camera lay on the kitchen counter.  I whispered to Doris, "Is he there?"  He was, and we both adjusted our positions for a better view.

This was my best picture.
I snapped photo after photo 8 or 9 and had all sorts of angles of parts of him but when I handed the camera to Doris....she got the money shot!!  Again, for that I am grateful.   He was well within 6-8 feet from the window.  What a birds eye view we had.  He visited for quite a while savoring grubs or some other such delicacy served up by this old sweet gum tree.  In all he was there for a good 20-30 minutes and we cherished every minute.  I have long since taken the sighting of this bird to be a very good omen and was very thankful that it has come to my door.

No comments: