Translate

2/5/13

Homemade Italian Salad Dressing

This recipe yielded about 1 1/2 cups of a Spicy and Zesty Italian Dressing.
Tomorrow it will not matter to me what that ol' Groundhog has to say.  See your shadow or not!  I am proclaiming SPRING as I have seen enough gloomy, cloudy, dismal, sickly days for one winter.

Nothing says spring like fresh beautiful produce and the anticipation of spring planting.  While I admit there is snow on the ground......There is beautiful produce available and delicious salads are in the making.

I have been pondering all types of salads!

You might have guessed with last weeks Creamy Ranch Dressing more would follow.  This morning I have made up an Italian dressing and it chills now in my refrigerator awaiting this evenings lettuce and vegetable salad, plain but delicious as I haven't trudged off to the market yet this week for provisions.

Lately I have been reading posts from a blog entitled "Little Indiana" that explores Indiana attractions of every sort.  This dressing was featured this week and sounded good so I have adapted it to our tastes.  They also used it as part of the base for an Italian beef slow cooker recipe I am considering for tomorrow if tomorrow is not conducive to my getting out.  Or, if I am simply feeling lazy!

Ingredients for Italian Dressing:

1/3 C. Red Wine Vinegar
1/3 C. water
1/4 C. sugar
1/3 C. olive oil
1 T. diced red bell pepper
1 T. diced onion
1 t. minced fresh garlic
1 t. fresh squeezed lemon juice
1 t. oregano
1/2 t. paprika
1/8 t. salt
1/8 t. freshly ground black pepper

Combine all ingredients in a bowl and whisk until the sugar has dissolved.  Continue whisking and add the olive oil as you create an emulsion and the dressing thickens slightly.  Store covered in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours before using so the flavors can marry.

No comments: